Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Hard Drive Recovery Service?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 w411

w411

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:41 AM

I have run into several customers with drives that have failed over the years and for the most part Easus has allowed me to recover files.

Anyone had any experience with data recovery companies in North America that are more reasonable than $500 to $1,000?  And by experience I mean has anyone actually used the company they mention and been satisfied with the transaction.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,321 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:46 AM

I've used Kroll Ontrack, but they are more expensive than the $500 to $`,000 you're looking for.  For your money you get a new external drive with your data.  My personal opinion is that if the data is important, $1,000 isn't too much to pay to get it back.  Normally most people are much better about backing up their data after they lose it once.  These days with the encrypting malware being the rage, any data that isn't backed up can be lost.

#3 w411

w411
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 01:39 PM

It just seems that the recovery services are directed at business class data recovery.  Just like telecom business vs. residential you pay an inflated rate for the same services that you get for the most part as a residential user.  I am trying to find a "residential user" option for data recovery to at least give my customers a better option than saying "sorry about your luck, this will teach you a lesson".

And honestly the issue I run into most often is a failed external drive which people have in their mind as a backup drive.  And why worry about having to back up your data from your computer to that external when you can just save right TOO the external . . . and suddenly the backup drive is a primary data source.

#4 Frozwire

Frozwire

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2014 - 05:12 AM

The cost of recovery depends on the actual cause of data loss and the extent of damage on the media (if there are physical damage or hardware failures on the media involved ). We've used WeRecoverData on our critical data recovery needs and I think their services is not only limited to enterprise business clients since they also accept data recovery cases for personal home users. I tend to agree that a regular backup a better way to avoid such catastrophic data loss though.

"Encryption...is a powerful defensive weapon for free people. It offers a technical guarantee of privacy, regardless of who is running the government... It's hard to think of a more powerful, less dangerous tool for liberty...” - Esther Dyson

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2014 - 01:16 PM

I have used both Ontrack Data Recovery and Drive Savers. Unfortunately neither of these companies are generally in the $500-$1000 range, well I did have one customer say it was exactly $1000 for recovery one time from Drive Savers, otherwise it seems recovery is >1000. I have had several customers send drives in when the data was important. A few photographers and video editors who delt with massive file size and volumes which makes it more expensive and time consuming to do backups. For these customers I always recommened a raid setup with external usb or nas backups.

Everytime a customer came into the shop I always reminded them upon pick up of their computers to have a backup plan, keeping important data on at least 2 sources preferably 3 or more with one backup source in a different location.

I read a while back there was a newer data recovery center in Minneapolis that claimed less than $500 dollar recovery. I believe they went out of business...

As everyone has already mentioned, prevention for data loss with proper backup is far cheaper that recovery.

Edited by zingo156, 02 September 2014 - 01:18 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,926 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:06 PM

I found this recovery service that claims to do a recovery for $300. Make of it as you will. Use your own discretion and don't shoot the messenger. I have had no experience with this company.

#7 tech_surf

tech_surf

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 02 September 2014 - 03:00 PM

i have tried easeus,phoenix,runtime getdata back,

out of three runtime getdataback is awesome..

unlike others it let you preview(instantly) files b4 recovering ,it becomes easy to decide what to recover and what not to.

it also has many other technical feature..

just try it,its really proffesional.

#8 w411

w411
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2014 - 03:05 PM

I found this recovery service that claims to do a recovery for $300. Make of it as you will. Use your own discretion and don't shoot the messenger. I have had no experience with this company.

Oddly enough I did a quick search for "cheap data recovery" and found out there is a fairly local data recovery company within driving distance: http://datarecoveryguy.com

I have a couple of my own drives that died on me that I couldn't recover any files from I will post results from this Canadian company.

#9 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2014 - 03:23 PM

@tech_surf, I have used getdataback and agree it is handy with drives that are still recognized by the bios. I have recovered data from nearly all drives that were still visible at a hardware level. Unfortunately if the drive is not seen at a bios level, no software recovery would be possible. Then you would need Drive Savers, Ontrack, or another company with a clean room that can disassemble the drive and recover data from the platters.

Edited by zingo156, 02 September 2014 - 03:23 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#10 w411

w411
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2014 - 03:46 PM

@tech_surf, I have used getdataback and agree it is handy with drives that are still recognized by the bios. I have recovered data from nearly all drives that were still visible at a hardware level. Unfortunately if the drive is not seen at a bios level, no software recovery would be possible. Then you would need Drive Savers, Ontrack, or another company with a clean room that can disassemble the drive and recover data from the platters.

Which version of GetDataBack have people had success with?  There is Simple (which specifically claims it includes ALL versions of GetDataBack) & Classic which claims to have additional options that you won't find in Simple (even though Simple supposedly includes ALL versions) . . . 

#11 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2014 - 03:55 PM

Simple must be new, the versions that I have are specifically for format type, example I have both NTFS and FAT versions. They are paid for versions. The website is: https://www.runtime.org/

The recovery success really depends on the actual state of the drive, if you have many many bad blocks or the drive is not seen at bios level, you will likely have no success. With drives that have many bad blocks the data is generally giberish or mostly useless after recovery if it completes a single file at all.

Do you know what shape the drive is in? As in how many bad blocks there are?

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,399 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2014 - 03:59 PM

I've used the NTFS version with success...the current versions  are new to me. 

As zingo pointed out...you need to realize/accept the fact that some drives are damaged beyond recovery of useful data.

Louis

#13 w411

w411
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:04 PM

I realize recovery depends entirely on each individual drives, I'm just trying to weigh out whether it's a better option to go with the new Simple version ($79) which states "lightning fast, for FAT and NTFS vs Classic which appears to require a license for FAT and an additional for NTFS ($79 each).

#14 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2014 - 07:04 AM

I haven't tried the simple version so unfortunately I can be of no help in that choice. I can say that when it comes to data recovery I generally do use GetDataBack, RStudio, TestDisk, or Recuva... I have had RStudio recover data that GDB could not and vice versa. With bad hard drives, data recovery can take weeks if not months.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,399 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:53 AM

As for "lightning fast"...I don't think that's even a consideration for recovery software and was just a ploy to draw new customers.  To expect a "fast" recovery is not being focused on the objective and the difficulties involved, IMO.

I've not experienced any recovery software which I thought either "fast" or "slow"...it takes what it takes, IMO.  Bottom line regarding such for me...would be to consider the inconvenience of having to pack/send the hard drive out...and having it returned.  We would be talking days, rather than hours.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users