Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restoreing computer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 john11139

john11139

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:38 AM

I have a computer that I am going to retire and probably sell it at a flea market.  It originally came with Windows XP but windows 7 has been installed.  I really don't have any important info on the computer but still don't want someone to access it.  Can I do a restore to original settings? And if so, will it have XP reloaded on it or Windows 7.  I don't have a Windows 7 disc or a license COA # to put on it.  I really don't want to remove the hard drive as it would not be worth a new HD. And if not what files do I need to remove?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:03 AM

Hi john, 

Make and model please 

depending on your answer there may be a factory restore.

Thanks

Hedge

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:12 AM

If it has XP there is a good chance you will need a disc to install that operating system.

If you have a legal product key for this laptop you probably could get a local computer repair shop to make you a copy of the installation disc.  This will have to be the same version that was installed originally, XP Home, Pro, etc., it will also need to have the same 32-bit or 64-bit operating system.

I don't know what your expectations are for selling this computer, but should be aware that this computer is very old technologically wise.  It is old enough that the electrolytic capacitors on the motherboard are either start to break down or are failing.  If this has the original hdd it could be in poor condition as well.  The PSU has large capacitors which could be old enough to be potential problem as well.  You can't expect anybody with any real knowledge of computers to be interested in pay very much for this.  

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:42 AM

Hi john,

Maybe another work around Install Linux of your choice 

it works well with older machines

and might make it a bit more sell-able

Good luck

Hedge 

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:00 AM

@hedgeley

That is a viable option.  But most people are not interested in learning how to use a different operating system.  Windows 8.1 is good example of this, almost everyone hates it because it isn't intuitive as previous Windows operating system had been.  They've had to learn a completely new operating system and don't like being forced to do this.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2014 - 01:52 AM

@dc3

Good point  :thumbup2:

Hedge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users