Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can i format my computer without buying a CD

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 david2446

david2446

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 01 September 2014 - 02:30 AM

Recently I have been having many problems with my laptop. Please help with formatting it without buying any stuff. ty 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 01 September 2014 - 04:46 AM

There should be a Recovery Partition on the lappy. Running it will do a destructive re-install of the OS,,, NO personal data will be saved!!!

However, the process to bring up the Recovery Partition varies from machine to machine. We need to know the make and model number of the lappy.

#3 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:53 AM

Also create a system repair disc if you haven't done so already. Just go to start and type create.

Edited by technonymous, 01 September 2014 - 10:47 AM.

#4 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:19 AM

@david2446, you can Refresh or Reset Windows which is like reinstalling Windows all over.  This article describes how to do either one.  (Ignore the part on Restore since that's not what you want).  The screenshots in the article are a bit different to what they look like now but the general procedure is the same.  I'm on Windows 8.1 and if you are on the same I can post some screenshots to guide you.

Edited by Agouti, 01 September 2014 - 03:06 PM.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:33 AM

Agouti, You did not link to an article.

Also, all we need to start with is the make and model of the laptop. With that information someone will be able to tell David how to use the recovery partition to reinstall.

#6 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:08 AM

In the case of Win 8 and 8.1 machines, there's a generic Windows recovery system so the make and model make no difference.

They all work the same.

The recovery process is just slightly different between 8 and 8.1, but it's so minor it's barely worth mentioning.

The OP can choose to refresh the system and keep all files, or completely wipe it out and start from zero.

Bring out the Charms bar, hit "Settings", then on the subsequent charms bar, hit "PC Settings" (at the bottom).

That will open a full screen page that has a recovery option.

Hit "Recovery" and choose the option you want, a full OEM factory reset (Remove everything and reinstall Windows) where it does NOT keep any of your files, or a Refresh that makes the system new but keeps your files (Refresh Your PC without affecting any files).

The job may take an hour or two, depending on which option you choose and how much data you have, if your keeping all your files.

All is well in Paradise.

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:14 AM

I don't use Windows 8 (tried it and had to many issues with it). I just base my answers on what I know.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 01 September 2014 - 11:15 AM.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:14 AM

Rockysosua,

There is a good reason for using the System Recovery partition.  Not only does it essentially reinstall the operating system, but also loads all of the drivers.  If there is a problem with a driver a refresh will not address this as it is a OEM feature.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:20 AM

There is a good reason for using the System Recovery partition.  Not only does it essentially reinstall the operating system, but also loads all of the drivers.  If there is a problem with a driver a refresh will not address this as it is a OEM feature.

Agreed and I gave the OP the options for either or.

My reply was to clear up that we do not need to know the make and model, as Win 8's recovery options are generic to the system and not the machine.

All is well in Paradise.

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:32 AM

My reply was to clear up that we do not need to know the make and model

We asked for the make and model for a reason.

A lot of our members are novice computer users.

In this case, it is clear, at least to me, that David2446 may not be aware that his laptop has a built in recovery partition.

When we know the make/model someone can find information on HOW to access that partition and post the directions.

I am taking it as fact that we don't need it in order to do as you suggested.

This is not the place for a "debate" on which method to use. It detracts from the help process and only serves to "muddy the water".

It is time to return the focus to answering questions and helping David with his issues.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 01 September 2014 - 11:38 AM.

#11 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:08 PM

Agouti, You did not link to an article.

My apologies.  It has been corrected now.

#12 muzramp

muzramp

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2014 - 06:14 PM

You could also use a USB Drive if you have one that's around 8gb. then go on MSDN, I believe the Windows 7 is on there, download it on to the USB Drive, use Win32Image to create the install disk on to the USB.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users