Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux Backup Tool

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:27 PM

What files do I choose to backup 100%?:  "File System","Root" or and "7BB0-73F3"

I tried to do a backup tonight and it stalled out on me.  The 8GB USB still had space left on it but I will try with a 32GB just incase.

I had issues backing up with Macrium tonight so want to make sure I got something for my LMM17 install.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 8,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:57 AM

What files do I choose to backup 100%?

For what purpose? Personally I would back up all of your personal files such as documents, photos and videos, which would all be in Home by default; although I keep all of that on a separate partition anyway. Apart from that the only files I keep backups of are bookmarks, emails, and program/system files that I have edited myself such as menu.lst and conky.conf, so that I can easily swap the edited files in place of the originals if I have to reinstall the operating system, or run the bootloader again etc.

Personally I have never seen the point in backing up standard system or program files, since if anything major goes wrong I would rather reinstall everything than repair it.

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:09 AM

For what purpose? Personally I would back up all of your personal files such as documents, photos and videos, which would all be in Home by default; although I keep all of that on a separate partition anyway. Apart from that the only files I keep backups of are bookmarks, emails, and program/system files that I have edited myself such as menu.lst and conky.conf, so that I can easily swap the edited files in place of the originals if I have to reinstall the operating system,

I agree with this. I have a small txt file with all the software thats installed on my pc and if I have to format I run the script.

Looks something like this.

sudo ufw enable && sudo apt-get install gimp && sudo apt-get install htop && sudo apt-get install xbmc && sudo apt-get install xxxxx && sudo apt-get install xxxxx && sudo apt-get install xxxxx && sudo apt-get install xxxxx && sudo apt-get install xxxxx && sudo apt-get install xxxxx && sudo apt-get install xxxxx  etc etc etc

From a format I can be up and running in 90 minutes, With nothing lost, This includes updates.

I keep backups of are bookmarks,

I use xmarks for this.

Xmarks | Bookmark Sync and Search

Personally I have never seen the point in backing up standard system or program files, since if anything major goes wrong I would rather reinstall everything than repair it.

+1

Edited by NickAu1, 01 September 2014 - 07:28 AM.

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,327 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:52 PM

Okay, so how would I do this?  I backed up /Home with the Backup Tool but can't now, maybe they changed it, not able to select "/Home" but only the ones mentioned above.

I wish I knew how to use the tool as it seems it would be of an advantage to restore quicker and just more simple for me.  I did get something backed up when choosing "FileSystem".  It appeared that it stalled out and maybe it did because it was hard to close out.  It did leave me with two Main files, but I would not know how to restore with them anyhow lol.  I would think one could format the partitions and then use the tool to restore but I don't know.   I will have to look into it more I guess, the never ending search for various opinions with google is on.  I will post a pic of what I got if anyone is interested, it will be from my windows xp as the other does not allow me to view it all, just the two main folders.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,327 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 04:16 PM

This is what I got from Backup Tool.

LMM17Backup_zps99b9c0a7.png

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#6 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 8,109 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:29 AM

I have a small txt file with all the software thats installed on my pc and if I have to format I run the script.

That's a great idea!

#7 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 8,109 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:31 AM

Okay, so how would I do this?

I would do it manually using copy and paste. Decide what directories you want to back up, and where you want to back them up to, then copy them from wherever they are and paste them into wherever you want to back them up to.

Or, if you have saved them somewhere that you need root privileges to copy them from, then rather than change the permissions or have to use the terminal, boot up with a Puppy CD and use its copy facility to copy the files.

Edited by Al1000, 02 September 2014 - 02:34 AM.

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,327 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2014 - 01:38 PM

See, here lies the problem - I don't know or have any idea what directories to back up.  Clearly it could be done many ways some-what easily but it is beyond me to do so.  I just want to click "Backup" lol, and if possible have something that will only take a short amount of time to restore.  I am sure that I have what I need now with this backup, when I need it I will go through and copy the files if I need to reinstall, I just want easy!  I'm a very light user and having health issues that make it hard for me to comprehend all this foreign material.

Wish I had a computer to sacrifice to test some of this stuff out, meaning the "Backup Tool"  I could try to install from the backup files and see what and how long it takes.  Perhaps the tool is doing what it is supposed to, but appears to be stalling out when it is done.  From what I have read it does not like any funky files, or files that are improperly named.

I do have all my documents saved to a usb as they are created so I got that covered.  Most of the basics I got covered, it's just that I don't want to have to completely reinstall and set up everything if it crashes.  I am also doing the Macrium Reflect backup but as you might know was having some issues with it also.  No worries it's all a learning process, I just don't want, and can't learn that much just to be a light user.

Thanks for the help though.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:22 PM

Because I do not store documents music photos in my home folder ( they are on a seperate drive) as I said earlier I prefer a clean install rather than a backup, After I install my OS ( Buntu based) I just copy and paste my restore text into terminal. This is my backup.

New users can also just copy and paste this into their terminal and it will give them a replacement for windows ( almost ). This has been tested on my PC.

sudo ufw enable && sudo apt-get install synaptic && sudo apt-get install gnome-system-tools && sudo apt-get install gufw && sudo apt-get install transmageddon && sudo apt-get install acetoneiso && sudo apt-get install preload && sudo apt-get install k3b && sudo apt-get install htop sysinfo hardinfo && sudo apt-get install shutter && sudo apt-get install inkscape && sudo apt-get install photofilmstrip && sudo apt-get install smplayer && sudo apt-get install vlc && sudo apt-get install libdvdread4 && sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh && sudo add-apt-repository ppa:tualatrix/ppa && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install ubuntu-tweak && sudo apt-get install ttf-mscorefonts-installer && sudo apt-get install pinta && sudo apt-get install shotwell && sudo apt-get install darktable && sudo apt-get install photofilmstrip && sudo apt-get install gimp gimp-data gimp-data-extras gimp-gap gimp-plugin-registry libtiff-tools gimp-help-en icc-profiles glew-utils gimp-help-common gmic gimp-gmic gmic-zart libtiff-opengl && sudo apt-get install rawtherapee libraw-bin ufraw ufraw-batch && sudo apt-get install audacious && sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras && sudo apt-get install macchanger && sudo apt-get install aircrack-ng && sudo reboot

The mac changer and aircrack-ng are :whistle: Good for testing WiFi passwords. WiFi card needed.

If you must have microsoft Office you will need wine.3 Ways to Install Wine on Ubuntu - wikiHow

Then read this post on how to install Microsoft office 2010. Please note you will need a Microsoft office disk and a Genuine Microsoft Office Key.How To Install Microsoft Office 2010 In Ubuntu With Wine

Edited by NickAu1, 03 September 2014 - 04:57 AM.

#10 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 8,109 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:59 AM

I am also doing the Macrium Reflect backup but as you might know was having some issues with it also.

Well it is a Windows application by the looks of it. The most popular Linux application for what you want to do seems to be Clonezilla. Links to the download page and a tutorial on how to use it are here:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/19901/how-to-make-a-disk-image-and-restore-from-it-later

Edited by Al1000, 03 September 2014 - 04:59 AM.

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,327 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2014 - 10:58 AM

Thanks you AL1000, I guess I can just copy the root and home and be good for the most part.  I will look into the clonezilla.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,327 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2014 - 02:48 PM

I thought I would use this thread for this purpose, hope you don't mind cat1092.  

I would like to restore my Software Package or root/ partition, I am not really sure.  What happened was, I tried to install the newer hplip Driver to improve my printing experience but there was a problem.  Now the hplip-gui will not work, therefore I cannot view my ink levels.  This all started at this thread but now is a different subject:   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/547525/hp-photosmart-c4700-series-cmdpcl/     .

I have read that one can do this with a Live Distro of some kind (usually a puppy) by removing damage files and copying a backup file, then using it to replace the damage files.  

1. I would like to know if I can do this with my Live Linux Mint USB or will I have to use a puppy?

2. Also if I have the proper files to do so based on the screen shot below.

Run-FIle-Root_zps6296034c.png

Edited by pcpunk, 23 September 2014 - 02:54 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,327 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2014 - 10:02 PM

Hey guys, thanks for all the help but I think I will go to LinuxMint.com and see if I  can get some help with this there.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users