Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

battery worn down to -0% - is it dead?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tobyo

tobyo

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:53 PM

I've been getting an education about laptop batteries this evening. I noticed a bit too late that my power cord had become unplugged from my laptop. It's an Acer Aspire One netbook running Windows 7. I plugged it back in and it reads "-0%, plugged in and charging" but it's said that for nearly two hours now. I did restart it about a half hour ago to see if that would make a difference. haven't noticed any change.

is my battery dead now? I've never worn it down to minus zero :( and never even close to zero ever.  Is there a chance it's still good? any advice on what to do next is greatly appreciated.

thanks.

edited to add: the netbook is about 2 years old.

Edited by tobyo, 31 August 2014 - 08:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:07 PM

A good long charge (12hours+)  with the computer turned off may bring it back...

#3 muzramp

muzramp

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:10 PM

Hmm, I never notice it say -0 before, but you did say it's 2 years old, If you charged it every day for two years, that's 730 days, a laptop battery will usually die around 400-500 charge cycles. It could possibly be died, it could also be the charger itself.

#4 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:21 PM

A good long charge (12hours+)  with the computer turned off may bring it back...

okay, thanks.

#5 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:24 PM

Hmm, I never notice it say -0 before, but you did say it's 2 years old, If you charged it every day for two years, that's 730 days, a laptop battery will usually die around 400-500 charge cycles. It could possibly be died, it could also be the charger itself.

hmmm, well this is the third power cord that I've gone through. the first one worked fine but the cord itself had many holes in it and I have no idea how they got there. I just plugged in one of the other two cords to see if it will charge. if it doesn't move in another 30 minutes above -0% I'll turn it off and keep it plugged in and hope it will recharge. if not I guess a new battery is in order.

thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users