Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Realtek RTL8101E Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC and Vista compatibility

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 dutchinvegas

dutchinvegas

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:23 PM

Greetings,

I come in complete frustration with my computer situation.  I have a feeling I messed up from the start 

and this might be something that can't be fixed.  In a nutshell, my notebook Windows 8 system crashed, it 

just would not boot starting "out of the blue."  I didn't make a recovery disc (bad) and its out of 

warranty.  So I thought Vista would be an easy install over it, not knowing that there are now hardware 

issues with "older" operating systems and the new hardware.  I was able to install Vista and SP1 and SP2 

on it, but I'm getting the dreaded "Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an 

error while attempting to install it.   Realtek RTL8101E Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0).  

"This device cannot start.  (Code 10)"  I've seen this addressed on forums but I can't get any solutions 

to work.  I have downloaded the latest Realtek driver.  I also tried a tip which others seemed to make 

work which was to download the latest drivers from Realtek, and the Diagnostic, and from those files, 

move the .inf files to a new location and point the driver updater to that location.  That didn't work.  

So I'm wondering if Vista is just incompatible with this, and I will have no choice but to go back to Win 

8?  I honestly hope not.

This is an HP Pavilion G6, 2.5 AMD A4, 4gig RAM, Vista Home Premium 32 bit SP2, multi-core (2 total), 

Boot mode: Legacy BIOS in UEFI (I don't know if I messed up the setting here).

I do have a desktop to access the internet, so any drivers or anything I could be pointed to would be 

nice.

Thanks in advance.

Dutch

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,627 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:05 PM

You can get that driver here.

Vista and Server 2008 Auto Installation Program (SID:1669851) 106.4 2014/7/25 5939k

Edit: Sorry for this post. I read your post and understand that you have already downloaded this driver. I must be brain dead.

Go to Device Manager. Right click the Network Adapter. Select Properties. Under the details tab, select Hardware ID's in the dropdown box. Copy and Paste the first line of text in your next post.

Edited by JohnC_21, 31 August 2014 - 08:31 PM.

#3 dutchinvegas

dutchinvegas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:46 PM

First line is:

PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8136&SUBSYS_1849103C&REV_05

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,627 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:00 PM

This is identified as a Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller. I am going to have to do some research on this. It doesn't look like a Rtl8101E. I am going to have to look into the inf files to see if this corresponds to your Hardware ID. If I can find the correct driver, I should have something by tomorrow sometime if that is okay.

#5 dutchinvegas

dutchinvegas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:02 PM

That would be great.  I appreciate it.  

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,627 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:12 PM

Okay, can't make any promises but this particular FE controller is hard to find drivers for even Windows 7 but I will see what I can come up with.

Edit: So far the only OS that I can find supported for this driver is 64bit and your OS is 32 bit.

Edited by JohnC_21, 31 August 2014 - 09:15 PM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,627 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:44 PM

Okay, I found it and it's actually the driver I linked to which you may downloaded already. Unzip the file. There is a folder called WINVISTA and a subfolder in that called 32. Drag the 32 folder to your desktop. Before updating through Device Manager I would uninstall the driver first.

I am not sure why pointing to the INF file did not work for you though. The Vendor and Device Id you posted are in the inf file though. 

% R T L 8 1 3 6 . D e v i c e D e s c %     =   R T L 8 1 0 5 . n d i ,   P C I \ V E N _ 1 0 E C & D E V _ 8 1 3 6 & S U B S Y S _ 1 8 4 9 1 0 3 C & R E V _ 0 5   ; H P

#8 dutchinvegas

dutchinvegas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 12:52 AM

Well that worked easily!   I guess moving the 32 folder to the desk top did the trick, because those were the same drivers I had  :bananas:

Quick question though, and I know this is basic but its been a long time since I reinstalled a Windows version.  Now with this ethernet driver working, I can set up my internet connection and then use automatic updates for the rest of the drivers?  Sorry for such a basic question.  

https://flic.kr/p/oYvw31

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,627 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:24 AM

I usually stay away from the Microsoft Update for driver updates. All those other drivers I see should be taken care of with the chipset driver. Download and install the AMD chipset driver v13.4 here. First on the page. You should see Vista in the name of the file.

For the video driver; Right click and provide the first line in Hardware ID's as you did for the network driver.

Edit: Just to make sure please download CPUz. What it the listing for the chipset under the motherboard tab and what is shown under the Graphics tab.

In the future if you want to post an image you can capture it by pressing the Alt+Print Screen keys. Then open Paint and Select Edit > Paste and save as a jpg. Post that to your flickr account.

Edited by JohnC_21, 01 September 2014 - 08:45 AM.

#10 dutchinvegas

dutchinvegas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:28 PM

Excellent.  Prior to this message, I was only getting links to the AMD graphics drivers. Or links to the sites which charge for downloads and make you go through hoops to get anything.  I really appreciate the help!  Everything is installed and working, no yellow exclamation mark triangles.   :grinner:

Edited by dutchinvegas, 01 September 2014 - 05:20 PM.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,627 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:42 PM

Great. Glad everything is working now. Thanks for the update. I am not sure you would want to do it but if the Vista install still kept the OEM recovery partition intact, there is the possiblity you could go back to Windows 8 as a factory reset.

#12 dutchinvegas

dutchinvegas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:53 PM

After all this, I need a break.  I would not even know how to look for that also.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,627 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:56 PM

I understand. You can verify if the Recovery Patition is intact by looking at Disk Management. But because of the Vista install, the key sequence to start the factory reset may not work at all.

#14 dutchinvegas

dutchinvegas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:08 PM

Thanks again for all your help.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,627 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:37 PM

Your Welcome,

Another thing I would recommend is to download something like Macrium Free. A program that can create disk and partition images. It will also let you create a bootable WinPE disk that will let you restore an image even if the computer does not boot or the hard drive fails. With a disk image, you can restore your computer in minutes instead of hours doing a clean install and then updating it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users