Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Action Center reporting new driver for chipset...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mjl1297

mjl1297

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:15 PM

...and when I open the Action Center I get the following--

Download and install a missing driver

NVIDIA nForce MCP72 Chipset is missing a driver. NVIDIA nForce MCP72 Chipset is a chipset in your computer.

To solve this problem, follow these steps:

download16.pngwhite_gradient.pngTap or click to download the driver from the ASUSTeK Computer Incorporated website

2. right.gifDownload and extract the driver files

1. Tap or click Save or Save as, and then save the file to your desktop. If you can’t choose where to save the file, you’ll need to find it and copy it to your desktop. When you download files, most web browsers save them to the Downloads folder on your computer.

2. To extract the contents of the compressed folder, press and hold or right-click the folder you saved to the desktop, tap or click Extract All, and then follow the instructions.

3. Double-tap or double-click the extracted folder to view its contents.

Note
      If the folder contains a readme file, release notes or installation instructions, we recommend you read that info before starting the installation.

3. right.gifInstall the driver

1. controlpanel16.pngwhite_gradient.pngTap or click to open Device Manager

2. In Device Manager, locate the device you want to update, and then double-tap or double-click the device name.

3. Tap or click the Driver tab, and then tap or click Update Driver.

4. Tap or click Browse my computer for driver software.

5. Tap or click the Browse button, and then locate the folder that contains the driver files.

6. Tap or click OK, and then tap or click Next.

7. Follow the instructions to complete the installation of the driver.

So I downloaded and the package is for the Vista OS. This may or may not mean anything but I'm not seeing any exclamation marks in Device Manager. Should I just ignore this alert? I did install a new PCI-E USB 3.0 card and that was when I got this message. The USB card is working but I wonder if the updated chipset driver message has anything to do with that?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:46 PM

I'm guessing you have Windows Error Reporting enabled on your computer? WER will download suggestions from Microsoft to the Action Center if it finds something on your computer it thinks needs to be fixed.

In any event, it looks like it may have flagged something on your computer and sent you this alert: http://wer.microsoft.com/responses/Response.aspx/15219/en-US/5.1.2600.0.00000000.9.9?SGD=d8a8c9a9-3c4a-48ff-ae43-77abcbe01fa0#here

Unless your graphics display is having issues, or your drivers are old, I wouldn't worry too much about it. If anything, go to the nVidia website and download the driver from there.

#3 mjl1297

mjl1297
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:39 PM

Many thaanks

#4 mjl1297

mjl1297
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2014 - 11:04 PM

...should be "Many thanks"--don't wish to appear illiterate! :thumbup2:

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:54 AM

Never fear, we all make typos routinely :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users