Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sys Config corrupted. repaired, old folders access denied, etc, pls help?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 saxdragon

saxdragon

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:10 PM

My PC crashed, error reported that the system config file was corrupted, so i repaired it using Windows Repair Console and backup sys config file.  PC started up fine but my old owner account was made "Read Only" and hidden.  I can't drag and drop files on my desktop (or anywhere else either, i think) and folder properties are all "Read Only".  If I try to change that, it appears to change, but as soon as I look again, it's changed BACK to "Read Only".  Any file operations like move, copy, or transfer has to be done by contextual menu "Copy" and "Paste".

Any suggestions?  Thank you.

Windows XP Home, SP3 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:38 PM

If you go to safe mode you will see the Administrator account. Open that and create a new account. Then copy your personal files from the hidden account to the new account. Does that work for you. You should move over your browser favorites and bookmarks also.

#3 saxdragon

saxdragon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:53 PM

Thanks, i'll try this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users