Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptops keyboard randomly stops working

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 drewman19

drewman19

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 31 August 2014 - 06:31 PM

my laptops keyboard randomly stopped working yesterday while i was playing warframe(a game on steam) so i restarted my computer and it worked for about 15 mins or so then stopped again.i tried running some of the troubleshooting windows gives you but to be honest idk if it would help or exactly what i was doing but it didnt help. i ran an anti virus scan and then restarted it again it did the same thing. i restarted in safe mode and ran another scan but it happened again.

today it was working fine for awhile then stopped. i uninstalled and the reinstall warframe but i dont believe its the problem. my laptop is an alienware um i dont really remeber what model it is its about 4 years old with intel i7 processor and it has windows 7 .(after writing half of this with the on-screen keyboard it started to work again but it did the same thing yesterday and dont believe the issue is resolved) im considering just buying an external keyboard though the usb but i would prefer to resolve the problem not just cover it up.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 kokomodrums

kokomodrums

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:50 PM

It could be that the cable that attaches the keyboard to the motherboard is loose, which would explain why it seems to come and go randomly. Because laptop keyboards don't have their own drivers, this seems like a hardware issue most likely. Unfortunately, if you don't have much experience removing a laptop keyboard, you will probably need to find a local repair shop to do it for you. Just explain that the keyboard is flaky and you think it might be a loose connection. It will only take them a few minutes to remove the keyboard and make sure the keyboard's ribbon cable is securely plugged in to the motherboard.

Another way to eliminate (or confirm) the possibility a software issue is to grab a USB keyboard and try that out for a few hours to see if you have the same issue. If so, it's not a hardware issue (and it's a strange issue at that!).

-- Matt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users