Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

toshiba laptop not loading

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 dshah

dshah

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 31 August 2014 - 05:42 PM

so what happens is when i press the power button, i can hear the machine turning on but nothing shows up on the screen.. i had this problem since last 6-8 months.  what i used to do is turn the machine on and let it run for 10-15 min and my laptop will warm up, then i will shut off the machine again and turn it back on and it will work(i can see everything appear on the screen).. since last 2 days this approach is not working.. now i turn on the machine and i can hear it but nothing shows up..it will run for few min and then it shuts off by it self.  i retry but same thing happens.. 

Edited by hamluis, 02 September 2014 - 11:17 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 kokomodrums

kokomodrums

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:52 PM

What is the model number of your laptop?

-- Matt

#3 dshah

dshah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:03 PM

It is Toshiba - Satellite A215-S4817

#4 kokomodrums

kokomodrums

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:25 PM

First I would try booting into safe mode. Read this article for instructions - http://bertk.mvps.org/html/safemodevista.html. Let me know if you can get into Safe mode.

-- Matt

#5 dshah

dshah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:53 PM

i cant get to the safe mode.nothing appears on the screen when i press power button..but i do hear the machine running. 

#6 kokomodrums

kokomodrums

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:31 PM

Do you have a desktop computer as well? Or access to a monitor with a blue VGA cable? If so, try plugging the monitor into your laptop to see if it will display on a different screen.

-- Matt

#7 dshah

dshah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:35 AM

I do have an extra monitor and i tried hooking it up with that monitor, but nothing shows up on the monitor as well. 

#8 kokomodrums

kokomodrums

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:36 AM

In that case you can be fairly certain the issue is not with the screen.

Just to clarify, when you turn the computer on you don't see anything? Not even a Toshiba logo etc?

Do you have another computer you could use to troubleshoot? Is it a desktop or laptop?

-- Matt

#9 dshah

dshah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:43 AM

yes that is correct, when i turn the computer on i dont see anything.  but i do hear the machine running.  this has been happening for last 6-3 months but in past i used to let it run for while and then i guess it warms up and then i would trying turning computer on again.. and it would load..since last 2 days this approach is not working.  

It is a laptop

#10 kokomodrums

kokomodrums

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:54 AM

So you have another laptop we could use to troubleshoot? Sorry, I just want to make sure we are on the same page!

-- Matt

#11 kokomodrums

kokomodrums

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 12:15 PM

Do you have all your data from the laptop backed up? If not, my next suggestion will be to backup your data before continuing. If you have another computer, you can take the hard drive out of the Toshiba laptop (this is generally pretty easy to do, and if you have the ability to take and upload pictures to this forum, I can walk you through each step). Then you can hook up the hard drive to another computer to backup the data.

Let me know if you will need to backup your data and I will start walking you through the process.

-- Matt

#12 dshah

dshah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 05:44 PM

I already have most of my data in my external hard drive.  so its okay if i cant recover all of my data.  what would be the next step? 

or do you still recommend removing my hard drive?

#13 kokomodrums

kokomodrums

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:08 PM

Honestly, if both the screen and a separate monitor both don't show any output, you probably have a faulty motherboard. It could be the graphics unit, or maybe the motherboard overheated or shorted out. On a desktop computer you could swap in a separate graphics card or even a new motherboard, but that is not the case with a laptop. If the processor or RAM was faulty, the computer would make a few loud beeps when you turned it on, and then very shortly after it would turn off automatically. It normally would not turn and and stay on with a blank screen.

Unfortunately I don't have any other recommendations. The processor in a laptop is usually affixed onto the motherboard and cannot be replaced. However, if the laptop has two sticks of RAM, you could try testing with only one stick at a time, then swapping the other one in to see if one of the sticks is faulty. But again, it would be unusual for faulty RAM to cause this sort of issue.

Maybe someone else on the forum has some other ideas, otherwise my assumption is that the motherboard is faulty.

-- Matt

#14 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:12 PM

Same thoughts as you.

If re-seating and/or cleaning the ram doesn't work, it's almost certainly the motherboard.

All is well in Paradise.

#15 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:20 PM

"".it will run for few min and then it shuts off by it self.""

Is there any possibility that the laptop is overheating ??

do you usually run it sitting on a bed/sofa/etc etc  ?

Are you able to blow it our with compressed air (GENTLY!!!)

I may be grasping in the dark here....but anything is worth a shot....

Condobloke

Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??

LINUX IS THE ANSWER

I USE LINUX MINT EXCLUSIVELY... NO DUAL BOOT, NO VIRTUAL MACHINE

Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your Microsoft product.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users