Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tricky Repeater setup and unusual scenario

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 buckman341

buckman341

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 31 August 2014 - 03:05 PM

Here are the basics of my situation. I am at a location that has free public wifi that you can connect to and then log into with your user name and password. Basically you choose 1 of 2 networks, connect, it pops up a browser window, you log in to the web browser (like a hotel), and you're online. There is no security on the network like WPA/WEP.

I am in a location that the wifi signal does not reach very strongly plus I am inside a structure that further degrades the signal. I purchased a TP LINK WA701ND v2, pretty basic device with 1 antennae. Also purchased a better antennae which is currently run out the window and onto the roof. It can pick up a fairly strong signal to the public wifi, between 27-30 dB. This registers between 85-95% when I check the settings on the repeater.

I must be missing something obvious though because when I try to connect to it I get a limited signal or under some scenarios I get a connection but can't get on the internet or connect to the login server for the public wifi. I will include some screenshots for my settings below. Really need a good guide for this or maybe just a few adjustments, no idea.

Thanks for any help.

001.png

002.png

003.png

004.png

005.png

006.png

007.png

008.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:53 AM

Why do you need to use Static IPs? Have you tried DHCP?

I, personally, have never had to use a Static addy on a public WiFi, but your situation may be different.

#3 buckman341

buckman341
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:43 AM

Do you mean in the LAN part?  I just left that IP alone since that's the default and I connect to the repeater from my laptop with a wired connection. The LAN port on my laptop is set to a static IP just to make this connection to the repeater also.

Our WIFI here has a DHCP of course so I disabled the DHCP under "DHCP settings"

Should I be doing something differently?

#4 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 01:06 PM

I am unsure. I've never dealt with repeaters and am unfamiliar with their setup. I'll bow out now and someone more familiar with this setup will have to help.

#5 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:34 PM

"then log into with your user name and password"

Unless your repeater has the feature for logging in and authenticating you will not be able to use this equipment.  You would need a router that supports PPPoE on the wan interface for the logon and password authentication issue.

#6 buckman341

buckman341
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2014 - 10:48 AM

Just to clarify, you don't log into the public router itself with any kind of user/pass. Anyone can connect any device to the public routers. Once you are connected you bring up a web browser and enter your user name/pass to go "online"

I would think that any device could operate in this scenario. I have another repeater that is being used in my work center but it is a different design. It's one of those compact models you plug right into a wall socket without an external antennae. I put it in the back of the office where the signal is decent and it fills our work area with usable wifi from the same public wifi. No login there and no issues with it.

Edited by buckman341, 26 September 2014 - 11:04 AM.

#7 buckman341

buckman341
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2014 - 08:15 AM

bump any help please?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,613 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 30 October 2014 - 10:06 AM

I am not sure if this is the problem but try the following. From page 18 of the user guide the LAN ip address should be on the same subnet as the root AP. If the public router has an address of 192.168.1.2 then you would need to change 192.168.0.254 to an address on the root AP's ip subnet but different. Something like 192.168.1.50. If you can connect to the public wifi directly then in a command prompt type ipconfig /all. This should give you the public router address and subnet mask which should also be the same in your settings according to the guide. The problem may be that if you use a ip that is in the DHCP range of the root AP, somebody would get the address before you. If possible, you would want an IP out of the DHCP range of the public router but I don't know how you would find that.

Ipconfig_win_xp.png

#9 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 30 October 2014 - 10:27 AM

"Once you are connected you bring up a web browser and enter your user name/pass to go "online"

This is referred to as a captive portal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captive_portal

when connected to this portal what ip address and gateway do you get?

Edited by Wand3r3r, 30 October 2014 - 11:13 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users