Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 wychwar

wychwar

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 31 August 2014 - 01:45 PM

A short while ago following problems with my computer I did a clean install of, supposedly, Windows 7 Home Premium using the 32 bit disk from a legitamately purchased retail boxed set. Somehow during the installation Windows 7 Ultimate was installed. Now I am getting the message that this is not a genuine copy of windows, because my legitimate key from my Windows 7 Home premium set is not recognized. As I have a bought and paid for copy of Windows 7 I do not want to continue down the road of attempting to "crack" the activation problem. I also do not want to start from scratch again. My query is can I use a program such as Laplink to transfer all the data and programs from the Windows 7 Ultimate to a fresh install of Windows 7 Home Premium?

Regards All,

Wychwar.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,977 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 31 August 2014 - 04:52 PM

First of all - welcome to BC !

I can understand you not wanting to start from scratch again - I can fully understand !  I think your simplest first step is to give MS Activation a phone and see if they will just accept your installation as this confusion of variants appears not to be your fault. The worst they can do is say 'No', in which case ask what they suggest as you have a legit purchased copy of Win 7. As I am not certain where you live I cannot suggest a phone number, but if you google 'MS activation phone' you will find it - it's a free call as well.

I don't think you will be able to use Laplink to do what you want. I have never used it, but looking at their web-site I get the impression that it is designed for transferring data and applications from an old to a new computer. If I understand you correctly, you want to take the data and applications off your computer as it stands at the moment, change the OS to Win 7 HP and write back your data and applications to this computer but now with HP instead of Ultimate on it.

If my understanding is correct, you can certainly copy all your data to some sort of external hard drive, but if you change your OS you will need to re-install all your applications. You could investigate the use of imaging software like Macrium Reflect, but as you don't want the identical OS I don't think it will work in this case.

Give MS a ring - you have nothing to lose !

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users