Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Moving Xp to different computer

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 31 August 2014 - 01:26 PM

I'm kinda confused. I'd like to move a hard drive running Windows Xp to a different computer. The computer with Xp is a HP laptop, and the computer that I will put the hdd in is a toshiba. Do I run "sysprep /generalize" or do I do anything else?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:30 AM

Do a BC search for "sysprep" and you'll find numerous recent posts by dc3. That'll get you started.

Be aware that XP may not have adequate drivers for a Toshiba machine. If you don't have a driver disk then you'll have to find them on the Net.

Edited by ElfBane, 01 September 2014 - 06:30 AM.

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,915 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:35 AM

I'd like to move a hard drive running Windows Xp to a different computer.

I did not know that you could take a HDD with a Windows Operating system installed from 1 pc and place that HDD into another pc, And it works.  On Linux yes easy.

Edited by NickAu1, 01 September 2014 - 07:36 AM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#4 BalistiX_2014

BalistiX_2014

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:34 AM

You are going to run into the issue of the HAL being different from the old machine to the new machine.   You can try the information found HERE. Word of caution though, there are times that it has been known to work and times that it doesn't.  The systemboard change is usually the cause of the issue due to the HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) pulling information directly from it.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,555 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:51 AM

The general answer is that you cannot with XP...it's a violation of the EULA, not to mention the fact that the settings and drivers will prevent a satisfactory transfer.

From what I see...the sysprep tool was not designed for the purpose specified by the OP...it was designed to facilitate multiple installation of a Windows O/S by OEMs, system admins, and so on.  Using sysprep to move one Windows install to a different system...well, I cannot predict the result.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302577

http://www.answersthatwork.com/Download_Area/ATW_Library/WinXP_Professional/WinXP__3-Setup-How_to_SYSPREP_a_Windows_XP_PC_setup.pdf

The HP laptop install license is tied to that particular HP system, none other.  Ditto for the Toshiba license.

Louis

#6 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 12:55 PM

Ok, Plan B. How do I transfer data and programs other than moving them one by one to another windows xp installation?

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,841 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 01 September 2014 - 01:32 PM

Data you can transfer either by networking or using an 'Easy Transfer' cable. Programs and applications you'll need to fresh install. You can't move an installed application because of registry entries and file associations.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#8 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 05:31 PM

How do I transfer data by a network cable?

#9 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,841 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:49 PM

I did this like 4 maybe 5 years ago and honestly I have forgotten exactly how I did it. But I remember using the Easy Transfer cable. Let me dig through my notes archive and see if I can come up with something. I do know however it's a lot easier if you are on a network. At the time I didn't have the luxury of one which is why I went the 'Easy Transfer' method.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#10 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2014 - 11:06 AM

Is there a tutorial to do it via internet?

Note: i am doing this because the screen on my laptop is broken so I was wanting to move the data to another computer.

#11 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 04 September 2014 - 11:39 AM

Copy all the installation programs/data to a USB stick and re-install all the programs/move the data on the new system. There's simply no way around it.

Edited by Willy22, 04 September 2014 - 11:43 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users