Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't unlock taskbar

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dmkc1207

dmkc1207

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 31 August 2014 - 12:23 PM

Working on a friends laptop which was seriously infected with Malware (and I never knew Sony put so much bloatware on their laptops)..I've cleared all the bad guys using the tools here (tweaking.com/rkill/Malwarebytes/Adwcleaner etc.) but the user account appears to be corrupted somehow as it will not let me unlock the taskbar or remember settings like "do you want Pale Moon to be your default browser" or change the desktop icons using the personalization menu..I was able to create another test user admin account and everything works fine..I'd like to fix this only because I'm obsessive to a fault, but googling hasn't helped me resolve this so I thought I'd try this gang..Barring a fix, I'm wondering if I could transfer her "profile"(?) (if that's the right word over) to the new account so that all her current desktop shortcuts etc and computer would act seamlessly after deleting her old account..as a quick aside is it also possible to rename the current corrupted account so that I could name the new account the same name she currently uses?..any suggestions, as always, greatly appreciated!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 12:59 PM

Fix a corrupted user profile, Win 7 - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

Louis

#3 dmkc1207

dmkc1207
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 02:10 PM

hmm...thanks hamluis...understand the process but unfortunately it will also not allow me to change or check things like "show hidden files" "hide protected operating.." "hide extensions for known file types" and all those handy things that I change every time I build a new rig or reformat...system running great again except for these quirks...I can copy the music/pics/etc. from old to new anyway and the shortcuts on the desktop work fine and direct them to the programs I need to get to anyway so I'll just grab all the data I can from old username to new and delete the account..was hoping to fix it just for curiosities sake but sometimes it's better to give up the ghost than chase them around for fixes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users