Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do you fix a buzz noise coming from inside my laptop?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Evenodd

Evenodd

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 31 August 2014 - 12:12 PM

There is a buzzing sound that I can hear faintly hear from my laptop if the room is totally quiet. I can even heard it when me and my laptop are on the furthest, opposite end of my room. I can't remember when it started; it's been a long time since then. The sound isn't annoying because it's like it isn't even there anymore after you listen to it for 5 minutes or something. The buzzing seems to be coming from under my keyboard. 

I plan on bringing my laptop to school, but I'm sure the buzzing will distract people around me.

I placed my phone on top of my keyboard to record the sound. I uploaded it here.

Could you please help me get rid of the buzzing?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,994 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 31 August 2014 - 05:24 PM

Well, there are a couple of transients on the recording which was probably you moving the phone, but I had to turn the volume way up on my speakers to hear anything. If asked to guess at the cause I would say a cooling fan bearing starting to fail - to my ears it is more of a whine than a buzz.

If the volume recorded by your phone is reasonably accurate, then you don't need to worry about disturbing others.

It would have helped if you had mentioned the make and model of your computer, but replacing a fan is not normally a major repair - if that is what is causing the noise. If you search on YouTube for the your computer model and 'replace fan' you will almost certainly find some videos showing you how to do it. Just take it slowly.

There are only two spinning components in most laptops - the cooling fan and the hard drive. To check your hard drive you can download Speccy  from BC and it will give you a good idea of its general condition, you can get it here :

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/speccy/

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#3 Evenodd

Evenodd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:47 PM

Well, there are a couple of transients on the recording which was probably you moving the phone, but I had to turn the volume way up on my speakers to hear anything. If asked to guess at the cause I would say a cooling fan bearing starting to fail - to my ears it is more of a whine than a buzz.

If the volume recorded by your phone is reasonably accurate, then you don't need to worry about disturbing others.

It would have helped if you had mentioned the make and model of your computer, but replacing a fan is not normally a major repair - if that is what is causing the noise. If you search on YouTube for the your computer model and 'replace fan' you will almost certainly find some videos showing you how to do it. Just take it slowly.

There are only two spinning components in most laptops - the cooling fan and the hard drive. To check your hard drive you can download Speccy  from BC and it will give you a good idea of its general condition, you can get it here :

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/speccy/

Chris Cosgrove

My laptop model is Sony VPC-F11LFX/B.

Yeah, sorry, you have to turn your volume up all the way to hear the sound; It's sort of "tzz-tzzzzz-tzz-tz-tz" noise.. The soft wailing noise was just the fan.

Here's what I got when I opened Speccy:
2evcgfb.png

Edited by Evenodd, 31 August 2014 - 11:47 PM.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,994 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:23 PM

When you publish a Speccy report, it's not a screen shot that gives most of the information, Speccy supplies a link to a URL that publishes the complete report less things like your Windows activation number. If you click on 'File' you do what is shown in this image -

http://imageshack.com/a/img633/5531/hxAaqx.jpg

And then you get a URL, like this -

http://imageshack.com/a/img908/427/O3lZIo.jpg

Then you copy the URL and paste it into your next post. Also, please give the make and model of your computer !

Your temperatures are perhaps a little warm, but well within tolerance for an Intel CPU.

There are only really three possible causes of noise like you talk about coming out of a laptop - as I said, what I could hear would not upset anybody - your fan, your hard drive or something resonating with one of these two.

If it is a reasonably old laptop, say more than two years, it would do no harm to blow out the cooling vents with a can of compressed air, perhaps even opening the bottom to check the cleanliness. If you are concerned about the hard drive, then create a Seagate test disc, you can get it from here -

http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/support/downloads/item/seatools-dos-master/

and run the tests. Note this downloads as an ISO file and you will need something like ImageBurn  (ImgBurn.com) to convert it into a CD that will run in your computer.

If it is something resonating with either your fan or hard drive, cleaning out your computer will probably fix it.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#5 Evenodd

Evenodd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:55 PM

My laptop is a Sony VAIO of the F series; the model number is VPC-F11LFX/B.

Here is the Speccy report.

I've cleaned out all the dust in my laptop about 3 weeks ago and I remember that it still made the noise.

I guess the noise isn't that bad as I made it out to be..., I can't really hear it right now with my TV turned on unless I put my hear close to the keyboard, and school is also more louder than my TV too, so maybe I'm worrying too much.

Forgive my laziness, I'll only do the Seagate test disc if you want me to.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users