Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for a 150 gaming PC or to Upgrade my current PC

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Roblox

Roblox

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 31 August 2014 - 12:10 PM

My current PC's specs:

Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1

CPU
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ 62 °C
Brisbane 65nm Technology

RAM (4GB)
 2.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 328MHz (5-5-5-15)
 2.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 328MHz (5-5-5-15)

Motherboard
ASUSTek Computer INC. Acacia (Socket AM2 ) 40 °C

Graphics
X19 (1280x1024@60Hz)
ATI Radeon HD 2350 (MSI) 54 °C

Storage
298GB Hitachi HDT725032VLA SCSI Disk Device (SATA) 54 °C

Optical Drives
No optical disk drives detected

Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

So what should i do upgrade or new PC?
Please suggest part's.

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 31 August 2014 - 05:26 PM.
Moved to System building and upgrading

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 muzramp

muzramp

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:15 PM

That's quite aged, I wouldn't bother upgrading it. I would just build a new PC completely. 

Something along the lines of this.

At least DDR3 8GB at 1333MHZ

Intel i5 or i7

GTX 700 Series

Motherboard with DDR3 support and PCI-E 3.0

256GB SSD and a 1TB for storage.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,580 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:31 AM

Well...what games are you intending to run?  System requirements vary, older games aren't as demanding as more recent ones.

Louis

#4 Roblox

Roblox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2014 - 03:28 PM

Take on helicopters 2 , Battlefield 3 , Prison architect , gta 4 , Wildstar .

#5 Zerue

Zerue

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:00 PM

That's quite aged, I wouldn't bother upgrading it. I would just build a new PC completely. 

Something along the lines of this.

At least DDR3 8GB at 1333MHZ

Intel i5 or i7

GTX 700 Series

Motherboard with DDR3 support and PCI-E 3.0

256GB SSD and a 1TB for storage.

Please do not just post those parts out of nowhere. You don't even know whats the PC gonna be used for anyway. 

Anyhoo...

OP, I dont think that PC would handle those games anymore, I suggest you save up for a new rig as most of your parts are already outdated. 

If I am helping you but failed to reply within 24 hours, send me a PM.

------------------------------------

Please read these guides:

Before you post a problem

Provide system specifications

Advice on building your system

#6 dgreeno

dgreeno

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 04 September 2014 - 04:51 AM

I'd suggest doing a staggered new build from your budget. 

If you want to see instant increases in ability to run games, upgrade your storage. In the modern world, 400 gb is the lowest you can kinda go for even just random internet usage/ word processing. 

For gaming, i'd suggest anything 750gb or more. I'd suggest, if your on a budget, a Seagate ST9750420AS maybe? A good brand and decent size.  

In order to do much else, you'll need to upgrade your case, or your motherboard next. I'd suggest case, cause good quality, budget case can go down to £30 (britfag) new, or £10 used but in good condition. 

For a motherboard, I love the ASRock H97 PRO4 because it's hella cheap, not micro, however, it does have a few faults to keep the price down. 

If your still going, i'd look at a new power supply then, because from there, things will get noticeably faster, with each part you bolt on, and if you don't go for a power supply, you may be left without a working pc/have a part sitting around you cannot fit until you have your new supply. 

I'd suggest throwing out a be quiet! STRAIGHT POWER E9 | 450W cause it's cheap and generally a nice thing to use, again, quite cheap, but a quality part. 

From there, you should have reserched around what you want in terms of CPU/RAM/Graphics. 

For cpu, just get a AMD, i hate how expensive intel is, for frankly, not much more.

#7 Zerue

Zerue

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 04 September 2014 - 10:45 AM

I'd suggest doing a staggered new build from your budget. 

If you want to see instant increases in ability to run games, upgrade your storage. In the modern world, 400 gb is the lowest you can kinda go for even just random internet usage/ word processing. 

For gaming, i'd suggest anything 750gb or more. I'd suggest, if your on a budget, a Seagate ST9750420AS maybe? A good brand and decent size.  

In order to do much else, you'll need to upgrade your case, or your motherboard next. I'd suggest case, cause good quality, budget case can go down to £30 (britfag) new, or £10 used but in good condition. 

For a motherboard, I love the ASRock H97 PRO4 because it's hella cheap, not micro, however, it does have a few faults to keep the price down. 

If your still going, i'd look at a new power supply then, because from there, things will get noticeably faster, with each part you bolt on, and if you don't go for a power supply, you may be left without a working pc/have a part sitting around you cannot fit until you have your new supply. 

I'd suggest throwing out a be quiet! STRAIGHT POWER E9 | 450W cause it's cheap and generally a nice thing to use, again, quite cheap, but a quality part. 

From there, you should have reserched around what you want in terms of CPU/RAM/Graphics. 

For cpu, just get a AMD, i hate how expensive intel is, for frankly, not much more.

Hi, before suggesting parts/brands it is wise if the thread starter could inform us with the general use of the PC.

For starters, 400 gb for internet browsing is not 100% true, same as 750gb for gaming. The thread starter could invest on a low capacity SSD to install his/her most used apps and most of the mp3/video/pics etc files in the current HDD. however, upgrading the HDD is not the priority here.

Next, Intel is expensive for a reason, performance per core is a whole lot better with i7s add also their hyper threading , low power consumption and has generally better cooling solution but tends to be expensive. On the other hand, FX 8350s have slower cores but has double the amount than that of I7s while also being relatively cheap but tends to use more power and heats up more than an intel. It all boils down to what your PC will be mostly used for. Saying AMD is better than Intel in terms of price is like saying Fire trucks are better than Corvettes.

For Asrocks, this is decent for a budget build. But if i were you, i would rather invest a bit more on an Asus, MSI or a Gigabyte board which has better quality caps and electronics, thus improving the overall lifespan of the board. Im not saying Asrocks are bad, its just that you could have a whole lot better board by just investing a bit more.

Also, do not post an H97 board out of nowhere, what if the thread starter wants to overclock? or if he wants to pick a different chipset? what if he indeed go with an AMD cpu like you suggested, would that work on an h97? I dont think so.

As for the power supplies, i would suggest anything from Corsair, Antec or Seasonic. they have the best branding in the market. Again, Be quiet is not a bad PSU, it is just that they are just relatively younger in the industry, and i would rather leave my build in the hands of a tried and tested brand. (Corsair's CX 600 has higher power but lower price, just so you know)

RAM, get at least 4 gigs, but 8 gigs is optimal. Just be sure to get a 64 bit cpu,

Finally, it is the 2nd most top priority to pick the CPU and the GPU (deciding the usage and budget for the PC being the 1st) it is never the last one. never.

Kudos for trying to help though. 

Edited by Zerue, 04 September 2014 - 10:45 AM.

If I am helping you but failed to reply within 24 hours, send me a PM.

------------------------------------

Please read these guides:

Before you post a problem

Provide system specifications

Advice on building your system

#8 Wesker1984

Wesker1984

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 08:28 PM

I'm just surprised how the OP thinks £150 will get a 'gaming PC' when most motherboard bundles cost more than that.

#9 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 08 September 2014 - 03:36 AM

Lets look over the options. I am the master at budget PC's, and I know you don't mean "max everything possible for the next 5 years" like these guys are assuming. What you really mean is "run it at any means nessary on my budget".

Plan A- Upgrade. Ehh....bad news. The motherboard in question is a really crap OEM board. Meaning that even if a better CPU may fit it, it won't work.

What that means- The best possible upgrade would only be 15% faster. That 15% being so little of a differnce that it dosen't matter.

Plan B- New PC Okay the upgrading isn't an option, but how about a new one? Well for 150$ you can't get anything new per-say. That is that the only option we have left is to get somthing used, which everyone here will want to ban me for even mentioning, but hey there is no other option and you seem desprate. so lets tango!

Doing this requires some know how at which I can't emphasize enough. The best option for that would be to go to Ebay or another site like it (craigslist works to). Then look for any whole computer with a "Core2Quad" in it. Why that specific one? Check the minimium requirmeents for any game, it will be that or lower (with very rare exceptions).  It should be priced arounf 110..120-ish.

Like this one- here (click it). Also take note that this particular one meets the requirements for all the games you listed (once combined with your existing). Then take the 4GB of RAM and hard drive out of the one you have and put it in the "new" one.

DONE MISSION ACOMPLISHED-  There ya go. A PC that ,when combined with the current parts, can play ALL the games listed within budget. There, did it. The reminder of the allowance being spent on the shipping, cause 35$ shipping (computers are heavy if you haven't noticed). If you don't believe it'd run battlfied 3 check the page yourself here.

Requires the ability to swap parts but there it is.

*edit* just noticed Pound symbol *face palm* I'm stupid. Same basic idea still aplies though. Ebay-Core2Quad-combine-done.

Edited by SEANIA, 08 September 2014 - 01:50 PM.

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#10 Roblox

Roblox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2014 - 11:54 AM

Well i could get this for £220 off a friend of mine but is it worth it?

Operating System:- Windows 7 Ultimate Edition.

Case:- Thermaltake shark + 2 x 120mm silent case fans. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133143

PSU:- OCZ 600w GameXStream SLI Ready. http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341001

Motherboard:- ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel. http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/motherboards/248182/asus-p5q-pro/specifications

Ram:- Crucial Ballistix Tracer 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 PC2-6400C4 800MHz Dual Channel Kit with LED Lighting.

Graphics Card:- SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X HD 5850 1GB GDDR5 PCIE. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102886

Hard Drive:- Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB 3.5" + 80GB 2.5" for backup.

CPU:- Intel Core2 Duo E8400 @ 3.00GHz.

Cooler:- Thermaltake CL-P0114 120mm Big Typhoon CPU Cooler. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106061

WiFi Card:- Edimax Wireless 32-bit PCI Card EW-7728In.

Soundcard:- Creative Audigy SE 7.1/PCI. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Creative-Audigy-Bulk-Sound-internal/dp/B000CF0ZXK

#11 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 09 September 2014 - 05:09 PM

Well i could get this for £220 off a friend of mine but is it worth it?

Ye-n-ehhh..Yes. Considering you can't build, that is most asuredly a good deal! Can't find a new, non custom built, desktop that can play games as good as that for 220 pounds.

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users