Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deciding between two laptops. Could use help with the minor differences.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ZCF911

ZCF911

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:57 AM

Basically, I am looking for a budget(around $500) laptop for use while I live away from home. It will mostly be used for general purposes such as internet browsing and getting work done. However, I'd like for it to do some mild gaming on the side. I already have a desktop computer dedicated to gaming, the laptop will simply be to tide me over while I'm away from home.

I'd be mostly interested in less demanding games such as Marvel Heroes. I'm obviously not expecting to play Watchdogs or GTA V on it. I recently tried a laptop with an AMD A8 processor, 8GB of memory, and an AMD Radeon HD 7640G integrated graphics chip. I used Marvel Heroes as my benchmark game, and even on minimum settings it barely got 10 frames per second. I returned the laptop and am now looking for a step up without going too high in price.

I've basically got it narrowed down to 2 laptops at exactly the same price.

The first is an HP pavillion 15.6 inch touch screen, model number 15-n287cl. The processor is an AMD A10-5745M (2.10GHz), with an AMD Radeon HD 8610G integrated graphics chip. It comes with 8GB of memory which from what I've found is upgradeable to 16.

The second one is an HP Pavillion 17.3 inch, model number 17-e049wm. AMD A10-5750M (2.5GHz) processor and an AMD Radeon HD 8650G graphics chip. Comes with maxed out memory at 8 GB.

Now, from what research I've done, everything points to the 17.3 inch being superior, especially when it comes to gaming. The only reason I'm still unsure is because of the memory. One is locked at 8GB, the other can go up to 16. So, assuming the memory is at 16GB for the first laptop, would the second one still be superior? For the purposes of my question, I'm only concerned with gaming performance. I know the difference between 4 and 8 gigs when it comes to gaming is big, but does a difference of 8 to 16 matter that much for the types of games I'd be running? Or is the first laptop still superior for performance regardless of RAM?

Thanks in advanced for reading this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 21 September 2014 - 03:30 AM

Gaming performance does use memory, but you would not notice much difference from 8GB to 16GB. Most games only use 3-4 GB of your system memory since they have dedicated video memory. I say go for the 17.3 inch model due to the better processor and graphics card.

Gavin Seabrook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users