Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I need a new motherboard but cannot find anywhere

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ksinley

ksinley

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:26 AM

Hello, I am looking for a new motherboard,  this is the motherboard that i need replaced:

492774-001 HP-Compaq System Board Benicia Gl8e

http://www.amazon.com/492774-001-Compaq-Motherboard-Desktop-Benicia-Gl8E/dp/B00IMNP4BW/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409490235&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=492774-001+HP-Compaq+System+Board+Benicia+Gl8e

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?app=forums&module=post&section=post&do=new_post&f=7

Is there an alternative to that type of motherboard? I do not want to buy refurbished, i would rather buy a brand new one. THat way I know its in good condition.

I am new at building computers, but i want to learn more so i can have more options on what i want to do with a computer.   The stuff i have on this motherboard is:

• Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1800 ATSC/QAM/NTSC/FM TV Tuner PCIe Capture Card
  • Quad cored processor  1.8 Ghz (or close to it),  its an intel processor
  • 350 watt power supply
  • 2x of "2GB 2Rx8 PC2-6400U-666-12-E3"
  • 2x of "1GB 1Rx8 PC2-6400U-666-12-ZZ"
  • I believe its a 750 GB hard drive
  • radeon hd 6450 video card
  • WIndows vista (may plan on upgrading to windows 7 but not sure yet)

If i missed anything else thats important, please let me know.  But thats about all the stuff i can find on the computer that i know of.  I cannot turn on the computer as i my cousin told me the motherboard is probably fried.

I am using this computer so i can practice in building future computers later on in life.  That way if i screw anything up here, then I have not wasted much money.  I prefer not to spend over $100 on a new motherboard replacement.  I do plan on upgrading my RAM at least as i think its an 800 Mhz so i would like a 1600 mhz and possibly get about 12 GB of ram instead of the 6 that i have now. 

Edited by ksinley, 31 August 2014 - 11:02 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:01 AM

Board Specs

Your chances of finding a new board for socket 775...are pretty small in 2014, IMO.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 31 August 2014 - 11:07 AM.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,378 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:05 AM

You will be better off getting a new case and motherboard.  Here is what New Egg has for Socket 775 motherboards.  Pair it with a case with power supply and you can still be under $100.  I normally don't recommend cases with power supplies, but since you're probably not going to be able to take your power supply over it is probably best in this case.

#4 ksinley

ksinley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:22 AM

Ok thank you for the help :)  yea this computer is about 7 years old,  so i know my options are probably fairly limited, but i want to practice with this computer before i go out and buy new computer parts and possibly screw up $100s instead of $100 - $200 worth of stuff.  I think this is a great way for me to start practicing.  before i go out and shop for brand new stuff entirely,  I will see what i can find and go from there

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:24 AM

Socket 775 Boards, Amazon

More choices :).

Louis

#6 ksinley

ksinley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:47 AM

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-DP35DP-Series-x161333MHz-Desktop/dp/B000QJ57TE/ref=psdc9_t3_B004WJRBUW_B000QJ57TE

would this be a good replacement?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 06:02 PM

I don't know anything about Intel boards or processors, so I won't opine :).

Specs for Your Link

IMO, the big question is how are you going to install Windows...and what version?

Louis

#8 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:05 PM

If you replace the exact board the you won't need to reinstall windows.

Here's one on ebay for $85.  or make offer. It is a used board and not a "refurb"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Motherboard-492774-001-Asus-IPIBL-LB-Benicia-GL8E-G33-C2D-Intel-DDR2-TESTED-/181512186238?pt=Motherboards&hash=item2a42f8297e

#9 ksinley

ksinley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:58 PM

ok, i have read in a couple different forums that vista is not that bad in accepting new motherboard changes.  just running a repair setup and putting in the current code for it to activate.  if not just call microsoft and they can handle it.  I only plan on having this pc for a few more years if i can get it running.  Then i will upgrade to a new and improved one hopefully.  Just now i have no time for really great computers as i wil hardly ever use them then they will become outdated and become a waste of money :)  im just using this one as just for practice so i know what i will be doing for future times,  but yea i have went and bought the one that i linked,  thanks everyone for your help, i appreciate it :)  i try to avoid ebay as my cousin told me that a lot of times you dont know what you will be getting with computer parts.   I will prolly act more questions if i am stuck in putting it together :)

#10 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:00 AM

I've made purchases from ebay....you just need do to some homework before you make any purchases. The seller I posted a link too has sold 2059 items and has 100% feed back. I'd bet that it's a safe purchase....just don't forget to read everything about the product your going to buy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users