Okay so I was downloading something from the net today and my download speed suddenly dropped to nil. Now I can't download but surprisingly can browse at a decent speed. Very strange problem
What I did to resolve the problem:-
- Restarted my router
- Changed back my DNS to default (I know DNS has nothing to do with download speeds, but I had to try)
- Tested downloads and uploads on speedtest.net but was unsuccessful. Sometimes the tests time out or sometimes it stops just before the download is about to happen and after the ping test has already happened. The ping was around 250ms, if that helps
- I tried downloading something again and initially the speed was around 100KBps but then quickly dropped to 0. (I have a 2mbps connection, so normal download speed is around 250KBps)
- I even tried downloading something on the mobile from the play store and surprisingly the app did get downloaded, though at a very slow speed of about 18-25KBps
- I then tried testing the net on the mobile via the speedtest app but again I was unsuccessful
- Just to make sure that nothing was wrong with the OS or the laptop, I made a hotspot on the mobile and connected the laptop the hotspot. Well, it worked flawlessly
So guys, what do you think might be the problem here? Is it from the ISP's end or is the problem on my end? I could have contacted them, but since today is Sunday, no one would be there.
P.S Well one thing i forgot to add was that I uninstalled IDM and a message popped up on the screen saying that the internet connection settings have changed. So restart. Well I don't usually take notice of these messages because I've uninstalled IDM a lot of times before and the same messages do pop everytime, but I had to give you guys all the info I could.
thank you in advance
EDIT1: Just scanned with avira antivirus and malware bytes. No virus or malware found.
EDIT2: Found out that I have a transparent proxy. I really don't know the significance of this though
Edited by mahendru1992, 31 August 2014 - 10:30 AM.