Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can browse but can't download. HELP!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mahendru1992

mahendru1992

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:24 AM

Okay so I was downloading something from the net today and my download speed suddenly dropped to nil. Now I can't download but surprisingly can browse at a decent speed. Very strange problem

What I did to resolve the problem:-

1.  Restarted my router 
  2. Changed back my DNS to default (I know DNS has nothing to do with download speeds, but I had to try)
  3. Tested downloads and uploads on speedtest.net but was unsuccessful. Sometimes the tests time out or sometimes it stops just before the download is about to happen and after the ping test has already happened. The ping was around 250ms, if that helps
  4. I tried downloading something again and initially the speed was around 100KBps but then quickly dropped to 0. (I have a 2mbps connection, so normal download speed is around 250KBps)
  5. I even tried downloading something on the mobile from the play store and surprisingly the app did get downloaded, though at a very slow speed of about 18-25KBps
  6. I then tried testing the net on the mobile via the speedtest app but again I was unsuccessful 
  7. Just to make sure that nothing was wrong with the OS or the laptop, I made a hotspot on the mobile and connected the laptop the hotspot. Well, it worked flawlessly 

So guys, what do you think might be the problem here? Is it from the ISP's end or is the problem on my end? I could have contacted them, but since today is Sunday, no one would be there. 

P.S Well one thing i forgot to add was that I uninstalled IDM and a message popped up on the screen saying that the internet connection settings have changed. So restart. Well I don't usually take notice of these messages because I've uninstalled IDM a lot of times before and the same messages do pop everytime, but I had to give you guys all the info I could. 

Anyways,

thank you in advance

EDIT1: Just scanned with avira antivirus and malware bytes. No virus or malware found. 

EDIT2: Found out that I have a transparent proxy. I really don't know the significance of this though

Edited by mahendru1992, 31 August 2014 - 10:30 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:00 PM

By posting the website download location or site and IP configuration next time only would the Community would may be able to help.

Download MiniToolBox and open/run the program.
When open, checkmark or select all options then click Go.
A notepad will open then copy-paste the report on your next reply.

Tekken

#3 mahendru1992

mahendru1992
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 01:24 AM

hey thanks for replying, but the problem is solved. I contacted the company today and they were like since it rained yesterday, there was a line problem. Hopefully it will get solved. 

although this was a very strange problem. 

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:44 AM

I believe it will and thanks for posting back. :thumbup2:

Tekken

#5 mahendru1992

mahendru1992
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:51 AM

I believe it will and thanks for posting back. :thumbup2:

haha anytime :)

But I'd still like to ask you. Just for the sake of knowledge. Obviously you can't give a definite answer since you'd be needing more info on the problem. But what I want to know is - Isn't browsing the same as downloading? I mean one is still downloading the web page on his/her computer. So how come I could browse and not download? Just throw some ideas, that's all I'm asking 

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:50 PM

Well, to give my perspective or what I've learned on the seemingly download problems for a website usually comes from accomodations (on server) of simultaneous downloads of different host or computer users on a particular website which could slow down temporarily or throttle download speeds on each end. AFAIK also, torrent sites uses seeds to share the upload speed which is again another way to host and share a particular file. But in your case as already confirm, is part of your ISP line problem which could mean your subscribe bandwith is not performing on maximum (or near maximum) speed as basically browsing does not always need in comparison to streaming and downloading aside of course on multiple users connected and sharing your network which could slow it down. It could also be your ISP slowing, restricting or limiting downloading as part of their policies or a hardware problem within your network setup. There are still a lot to mention but generally these are the things I would look primarily or obviously when it comes to basic network troubleshooting. :thumbup2:

Tekken

#7 mahendru1992

mahendru1992
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:40 PM

Thanks for replying jhayz. 

Oh I believe that there should be thanks or kudos button in this forum. Really helps IMO 

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:56 PM

No problem and you're Welcome. :thumbup2:

Tekken

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users