Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 8 Pro 64 bit - store will not upgrade apps

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ScubaSteve1980

ScubaSteve1980

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:41 AM

Hi,

I'm new to this forum. I recently read advice on microsofts forum regarding app store not working. I've read a variety of reasons:

- diff between local and roaming profile (I've changed to local)

- Norton interfering with process/defender turned off

So I've tried turning Defender on but can't seem to find the setting for this and am greeted witht the message: you have this feature furnted off and go to the user settings.

I've attempted turning off norton firewall and anti virus before attempting to update apps in the store.

At present I'm unable to upgrade or purchase any apps.

I'm not keen on uninstalling Norton, although will do this if needed. However, I'm wanting to cover any other bases before I do this. I've been unable to update apps for around 6 months now and am now jack of this.

Any help would be appreciated. I have just tonight completed the windows all in one download and process to the letter from this website. It's probably fixed a lot of stuff I wasn't aware of but not my particular issue.

Thanks in Advance!!

Regards,

Steve.

PS - I run a Toshiba Satelite Win 8 Pro 64bit, 8mb RAM with media player also installed/Norton Internet Security.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 31 August 2014 - 06:37 PM

For starters, you could remove Norton. I know you'd prefer not to but it's not as if you couldn't reinstall it later.

Once it is uninstalled, then you'd be able to go into the Control Panel to the Windows Defender feature and get it started there.

Installing Norton automatically turns Defender off.

BTW: In case you're interested in my opinion, there's no way I would have Norton run on my computer or those of my clients (I run a computer repair shop).

Moving on.

I have a question.

Are you able to install free apps? Just asking, as you didn't mention it.

The one and only time that I ran into the same problem as you have, is when I had turned off Windows Automatic Updates, as per a client's request.

With Updates turned off, you cannot download or update any apps.

All is well in Paradise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users