Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reduxmedia adware on Macbook Air AND iPhone 5 - crazy popups/redirects on both

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 sven365

sven365

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 31 August 2014 - 02:52 AM

In the past few months, I've noticed an increasing presence of popups that start with ad.reduxmedia.com or ad.reduxmediia.com (with two i's) and redirect to random websites such as the ones listed below, which are but a few. I've seen the other forum posts regarding this but they're all for Windows and I have a macbook air from mid-2011 running Apple's new OS X Yosemite Beta Version 10.10. I've read enough forums to understand that this is a very very infectious adware that goes system-deep. It hasn't really affected speed but the frequency of pop-ups increased drastically. I never ever follow a link on the popups and close them immediately. 

Also, it's somehow gotten onto my iPhone 5 on the Safari app, and it literally pops up every time I click a link, even on applications like quora. I followed the Preparation Guide but it looks like there's no DDS program for MAC users, so I'm not sure what to do now..

I have no clue how this got on both my laptop and my phone and I haven't downloaded any sketchy programs, although apparently it's spread by fake Adobe Flash updates and I did install one on my laptop thinking it was real and it literally installed the exact same way as the one from their website does. I still don't know if it was real or fake. I've disabled extensions for both Safari and Google Chrome (adblock plus) but that's all I know how to do and I've done 1, 2, and 5 on this website without any change (virusremovalguideline.blogspot.com/2014/05/reduxmedia-adreduxmediacom-popups-and.html) which in hindsight may not have been a brilliant move since I don't know if the information is legitimate.

ad.cash.com

mackeeperapp.zeobit.com

mackeepapp2.zeobit.com

tracking.crobo.com

advancedmaccare.com

hotel.com

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 aharonov

aharonov

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,441 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 31 August 2014 - 04:35 AM

Hi there,

the self-help guide you mention is rubbish.
It's not your computers and phones that are infected but your router. Something along the lines of this: http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/02/bizarre-attack-infects-linksys-routers-with-self-replicating-malware/
That's why all devices in your network with different operating systems are affected.

You have to check and reset the router and protect it against such attacks (update firmware etc). What is the exact router model that you are using?

#3 aharonov

aharonov

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,441 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2014 - 02:38 PM

Do you still need help?

#4 aharonov

aharonov

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,441 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2014 - 09:16 AM

Due to the lack of feedback, this topic is now closed.

In the event you still have problems, please send me or any Moderator a Private Message and ask them to reopen this topic within the next 5 days.

Please include a link to your topic in the Private Message. Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users