Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Use Webcam On New Toshiba Satellite

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mathnerdm

mathnerdm

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 31 August 2014 - 01:21 AM

So I just received my new Toshiba Satellite S55 and love it. When I first got it the audio quality with headphones WAS AWFUL, but after research I found out it's because it comes with an "audio enhancement" program enabled. After disabling that, everything sounds as it should. The real reason I'm posting though is because I can't use my webcam. When I use the default camera program, it says it's being used in another app, and when on Skype nothing shows up. Is this a common Windows 8.1 problem or could it be a defect with my laptop? What can I do to fix this problem? Thanks in advance for any help yall can offer!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:48 AM

I recommend you take this up with the merchant and/or manufacturer. Some of the help you would rx here may void your warranty. Also, was Skype pre-loaded on this machine, or did you add it after purchase? If you added Skype, I would uninstall it and then see if the webcam works. If it does work then the problem, I assume, would be Skype related. If so, then someone may be able to help you. Let us know.

#3 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:16 AM

If you're a bit tech savvy, you can go into the Task Manager into Processes and find the webcam process.

Depending on the machine and the software used, it can bear different names.

For instance, on my laptop it's called Amcap, on another it could be something else.

Nevertheless, by looking through the processes one by one, you may figure out which one it is, and if you do, you can right click on it and select "Open File Location".

That will let you know what program or software is coming on by itself, then try to disable it.

All is well in Paradise.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 31 August 2014 - 02:47 PM

See if the following Windows article can help you.  Specifically the 14th and 15th suggestions.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/camera-app-faq

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users