Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus removal practice on VM

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Fruguy101

Fruguy101

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 30 August 2014 - 11:41 PM

HI, 

I currently work as a remote technician for a company that provides remote tech support for major companies. My work mainly consists of virus and malware removal. I thought i saw on this forum a while back some zip files that contained active malware and virus files that could be downloaded and scanned. I would really like something like this that i can use on a virtual machine to practice removing some of the common infections quicker and easier. If anybody could point me in the right direction for that resource I would appreciate it very much. 

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 31 August 2014 - 06:03 AM

Hello Fruguy -

It is not the policy of Removal / Anti-infection / Antimalware type forums to release contained samples of *wild infections* for most reasons.

The coding involved in these programs may be used for many illegal or improper purposes.

You may have genuine reasons, but the request that you have made will be denied by all forums that use these for fighting malware ETC.

There is no personal attack involved towards you, or your company, at all, but it is just general policy.

Thank You for your interest -

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,099 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:26 PM

While I understand you may have good reasons to look for specific malware samples, Bleeping Computer is not the place to ask for assistance on how to obtain them. One of the primary goals of Bleeping Computer is to assist victims of malware infection with removal and to prevent the spread of malicious programs, not encourage them. Therefore, we will not provide links to malware samples or malicious sites where infections have been contracted and spread. Others reading this topic may use the information for nefarious purposes or an unwitting novice user may accidentally click a link and end up infecting their own computer.

If your intention is to infect a Virtual Machine (VM) for the purposes of testing, be aware that not all malware will work in that environment by intention. Malware writers have been able to create malicious files which can detect if it is running in a VM. When detected as such, the malware is able to change its behavior by not running any malicious code which can infect the operating system. This is a deliberate technique to make analysis/detection more difficult for security researchers who use VMs to study infections in order to understand the attack methodology used and develop disinfection solutions.

* Threats to virtual environments
* Malware no longer avoids virtual machines
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users