Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Problem: Cannot Left click on icons or folders

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Xanderos

Xanderos

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 30 August 2014 - 11:03 PM

This one has me absolutely stumped...

I got a client that had problems clicking on folders. That's all they told me. 

Upon further inspection, I cannot, in fact, click on any of the icons, but can click on the start button and taskbar pinned items fine. I can right click and Open anything. Then, when I click to go into the directories, I cannot click on anything there. Once again, I have to right click, and press Open. I'm hoping someone can offer me some help here... 

Thanks in advance!

~Xan

Edited by hamluis, 09 September 2014 - 11:19 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to AII - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 31 August 2014 - 12:12 AM

Is it worth resetting to default options in "Folder Options"...?

I assume this is windows 7 ?

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 12:25 AM

.....and if that gives you no joy.....

Open Task Manager....Click on the Processes tab...find explorer.exe and click on it.....then select End process.

Click on File up the top, then New Task, type in  explorer.exe   then Ok.

Let me know what happens

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#4 Xanderos

Xanderos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:00 PM

I tried both options. Neither changed it at all. Still cannot click or double click on anything to open it. All must be right clocked and Open'ed. :-(

#5 Xanderos

Xanderos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:01 PM

And, I apologize. It's correct that it's Windows 7, of course. 

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:26 PM

ok....there are no exclamation points in device manager ?

GcnI1aH.jpg

#7 Xanderos

Xanderos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:29 PM

There is one, actually. Under Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter?

I'm not sure, but I'm thinking that's not causing the problem?

#8 Xanderos

Xanderos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:35 PM

I fixed that problem just now, the Teredo Tunneling problem, so that point is moot. The other situation, however still exists. 

#9 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:51 PM

All i can seem to think of at the moment....is for you to run this   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windows-repair-all-in-one/

.....and then probably only the first two items in the list need to be checked, plus maybe "repair icons"....

I am hoping someone else might chime in here

GcnI1aH.jpg

#10 Xanderos

Xanderos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:43 PM

Unfortunately, that didn't solve my problem either... :(

#11 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:50 PM

ok...laptop or desktop ?....using a stand alone mouse?......tried another mouse?..(desperation suggestion !!)

GcnI1aH.jpg

#12 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:54 PM

Check mouse properties in control panel again

GcnI1aH.jpg

#13 Xanderos

Xanderos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:31 AM

It's a desktop. I did try the mouse properties first. And if the left clicking didn;t work on the taskbar, and for dragging. I would say that would be the problem. It's truly stumped me. :(

#14 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:46 AM

Is the mouse you are using to troubleshoot the same one the client uses?
If so, have you tried a different mouse?

The only thing I can think of to try is a system restore back to just before the issue started IF you know when it did start and there is a restore point just before that.

#15 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 05:59 PM

The only thing I can think of to try is a system restore back to just before the issue started IF you know when it did start and there is a restore point just before that.

That would be a great idea.

People tend to forget how easy it is to get out of Windows trouble with a system restore.

To the OP,

Do you know when the problem started and if so, do you have restore points that precede the problem?

All is well in Paradise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users