Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is MyPC Backup a virus?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 phineasphreak

phineasphreak

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 30 August 2014 - 09:05 PM

My mother just paid for it and installed it, and I'm getting conflicting info from web searches.

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 7 to the more appropriate forum.~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,044 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 30 August 2014 - 09:18 PM

G'day phineasphreak, and Welcome to BC

Personally, I would not touch it with a barge pole.

Read HERE   the comments appear to be reasonably accurate.

The program also relies on deceptive behavior...which is probably what you have already read about.  There are many pages written by respected authors on the subject of getting rid of it....

MyPC Backup is a paid online backup program that is typically added when you install another free software (video recording/streaming, download-managers or PDF creators) that had bundled into their installation this program. Very often users have no idea where did it come from, so it’s not surprising at all that most of them assume that MyPC Backup is a virus. \

So......if you after something that is not deceptive.......http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

if you want to just click the button and have it do the thinking for you, then I can recommend the paid version.

There are many others.....i recommend that one from personal experience.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 30 August 2014 - 11:16 PM

G'day phineasphreak, and Welcome to BC

Personally, I would not touch it with a barge pole.

So......if you after something that is not deceptive.......http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

There are many others.....i recommend that one from personal experience.

Welcome to BC :)

+1 to all 3 points made by Condobloke FWIW.

@Condobloke re: barge pole :hysterical:

Edited by Union_Thug, 30 August 2014 - 11:16 PM.

#4 phineasphreak

phineasphreak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 12:29 AM

Thanks, mate.

I had my mom call and cancel her payment (under her name), and am in the process of uninstalling ALL OF IT.

I appreciate the info!

~ PhineasPhreak

#5 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,044 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 12:40 AM

Always a pleasure.

A good removal tool/uninstaller is REVO......very thorough.

Please download and install Revo Uninstaller Free

Double click Revo Uninstaller to run it.
    From the list of programs double click on The Program to remove
    When prompted if you want to uninstall this program, click Yes.
    Be sure the Moderate option is selected then click Next.
    The program will run, If prompted again click Yes
    when the built-in uninstaller is finished click on Next.
    Once the program has searched for leftovers....(be patient here ! ) click Next.
    Check/tick the bolded items Only, then click  DELETE 
    When prompted click on Yes and then on next.   
    put a check on any folders that are found and select delete
    when prompted select yes then on next
    Once done click Finish.

How to use Revo Uninstaller

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#6 phineasphreak

phineasphreak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 12:58 AM

Thanks again.

Unfortunately, the program doesn't show up. I already uninstalled it from Windows 7 Programs and Features, but I'm still having the same problems I was having previous to it being installed.

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,044 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 01:46 AM

are those problems the ones you have a topic about HERE  ??

GcnI1aH.jpg

#8 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,044 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 04:06 PM

Obviously from hamluis's comment there, it is.

Please ignore my replies in your other post for the time being.

Please run the following scans for me, ...

Download Security Check by Screen317 from HERE
* Save it to your Desktop.
* Double-click SecurityCheck.exe
* Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
* A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.
Note: If a security program requests permission to access the Internet, allow it to do so.

Download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.
    Checkmark the following checkboxes:
    Flush DNS
    Report IE Proxy Settings
    Reset IE Proxy Settings
    Report FF Proxy Settings
    Reset FF Proxy Settings
    List content of Hosts
    List IP configuration
    List Winsock Entries
    List last 10 Event Viewer log
    List Installed Programs
    List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
    Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.
    Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.

GcnI1aH.jpg

#9 RMax

RMax

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2015 - 04:14 AM

MyPC Backup doesn't seem to be a virus itself but when you download the app (which you pay for) you wind up with what seems to be a limitless amount of junk, and crapware.

I've download it twice and ran a deep MalwareByte scan after each time.  The first time, MB picked up 99 unwanted files; the second time 172.

I also found the manual confusing and the platform not user friendly.  My advice, don't bother.  There must be better back-up systems around.  Reclaim Manager is at least free.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 16 January 2015 - 07:08 AM

My mother just paid for it and installed it, and I'm getting conflicting info from web searches.

When searching for suspicious files, new malware or malware removal assistance (and removal guides) on the Internet, it is not unusual to find numerous hits from untrustworthy and scam sites which mis-classify detections or provide misleading information. This is deliberately done more as a scam to entice folks into buying an advertised fix or removal tool. In some cases if the fix is a free download, users may be enticed to download a malicious file or be redirected to a malicious web site. In other cases you are referred to contact the site's Tech Support for assistance which is only provided for a fee and many times the actual amount is not disclosed until after you have committed yourself. Do not follow such advice or download any removal tools from unknown or untrusted web sites.

In your case, MyPC Backup is a Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP), NOT a virus.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users