Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possibly faulty Hard Drive?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BraXzy

BraXzy

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:51 PM

Hello there!

I think I've been having issues with one of my hard drives, I'm 99% sure it's my second drive but not certain. I'd like to find out how to best assess the problem, and of course fix it. So anyway, I first noticed something was up when my computer froze upon taking a screenshot in a game. I didn't really get why it had happened until more things started acting weird like Windows Explorer freaking out, certain things going wrong with folders etc, which made me think one of my HDD's was on the blink.  That was pretty much confirmed by the fact the next time I booted up a CHDSK Check (or whatever the heck it is called) happened for my D drive.

Once it finished running and booted up I did the error-check through My Computer -> Drive -> Properties and it said it found some problems and fixed them but it is still happening. I assume it's just breaking and will soon fail but I'm hoping there's a fix that will save me money. Writing to disk seemed to be what caused the freezing and such, but it isn't always happening, it's intermittent which confuses me. I don't have a clue what program would be best to download to run a check on the drive and how to best determine the issue.

Hard drive in question: "2TB Seagate ST2000DM001 Barracuda".. I've owned it for almost 2 years now and it was bought new when I built my PC. In case it is of any help, my operating system is Windows 7 64-bit.

I'm not 100% sure my hard drive is what is causing the odd errors, but all signs point to that being the case.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Edited by BraXzy, 30 August 2014 - 08:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 31 August 2014 - 01:15 AM

You can verify and check then post the results here by using the Seatools fo DOS. http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/ It would be important also that creating a backup of all your data on the troubled drive from a different storage is the first priority.

Tekken

#3 BraXzy

BraXzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:10 AM

Hi jhayz, thanks for taking the time to reply!

All the data that I need backing up is on my external Hard Drive so I'm not worried about that. And I have tried using the Seatools scanner before when the problem first arose but it didn't find anything wrong at the time. I'm not really sure what to do with it? Which tests should I run? And should I check my other drive just in case?

EDIT: I just ran a test using the Seatools program I had, I just realised there are different versions of it. I had Seatools for Windows, and the test I ran just failed suggesting Seatools for DOS which I now realise is something different entirely. I'll get that up and running and see what it says.

Alright so I have it burnt to disc and up and running but I don't have a clue what to do. I've run a long test since I assume that's what I should be doing? The short test instantly failed.

Edited by BraXzy, 31 August 2014 - 02:14 PM.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:40 PM

I've run a long test since I assume that's what I should be doing? The short test instantly failed.

The DOS test is more comprehensive and generally outside windows environment is more reliable of the results and actions taken. A short test fail would mean the drive is not reliable. You can run the long test for confirmation if you would like for sectors correcting but eventually would expect a Fail result as well. The main windows hard drive could also be diagnose as your choice of action.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users