Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Speeding up old laptop?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 kryjen

kryjen

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 30 August 2014 - 06:32 PM

Hi community,
I recently fixed the power jack on my old laptop from 2008 and got it working, however it is very slow- to the point where even YouTube videos lag, and processes seem very slow.
I was wondering what hardware components I can replace/upgrade in order to speed up the system altogether.
Thanks

The DxDiag system specs include:

Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Basic (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.101014-0432)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: eMachines
System Model: eMachines D620
BIOS: Ver 1.00PARTTBLl
Processor: AMD Athlon™ Processor 2650e, ~1.6GHz
Memory: 1790MB RAM
Page File: 3639MB used, 625MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 10

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:57 PM

It's probably overdue for a good cleaning if you have never done that. See if this How To video is for your machine:

eMachines D Series D620 Fan Repair Guide | Installation Video

Another one or two gb of memory would help if your comp can handle it. Check at Crucial or your manual. 

Use the Advisor Tool at Crucial.com - DRAM, solid state drive (SSD) memory upgrades for Dell, Mac, Apple, HP, Compaq, Lenovo, Acer, ASUS

You can check what programs are in Startup and disable all but the OS and real time security programs using CCleaner.

Once CCleaner is installed, click on tools, click on Startup.

Use CCleaner to cleanup temporary files, logs, ad/ tracking cookies, etc. Use the default settings. No need to use the Registry Cleaning Tool and its

use may cause other problems. Pay close attention while installing and UNcheck the offers of toolbars such as Yahoo.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

Edited by buddy215, 30 August 2014 - 08:15 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users