Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Starts and stops during boot

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Talgian

Talgian

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 30 August 2014 - 05:52 PM

Hi All,

I usually leave my computer on overnight (a bad habit, I know). When I came down a few days ago, I got a no signal from my monitor. First I restarted, and the fans and lights and came on, then immediately went off. A couple seconds later, they tried again. Finally on the third go around everything stayed on. I noticed my CPU fan did not come on during the first two boot ups.

Just to make sure it wasn't a graphics issue, I tried a different monitor, a different VGA cable (with both monitors), and unplugging and replugging in my GPU. No success, so I think the computer isn't actually booting up (caps lock light doesn't go on/off either). 

The CPU LED would flash during the boot, but then turn off once the CPU fan was going. However, the RAM LED would stay on.

I put in a new CPU/fan and the CPU fan would go on right away, but the computer would still start and stop a few times before finally staying on, with the RAM LED on.

I tested each stick of RAM and the same start up problems happened. I used the fan that come with the CPU. My specs are:

MotherboardASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 LGA 1155

CPU: Intel i5-2500K

RAM: Corsair Vengeance Blue 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM Dual Channel Memory Kit CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti FPB 1024 MB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0

SSD: OCZ 120 GB Vertex 3 SATA III 6.0 Gb-s

PSU: SeaSonic SS-750KM3 750WATX12V V2.3 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS GOLD

So to sum up, when booting, computer starts and stops, then finally stays on, but the system is not actually going.

I've also tried unplugging all connections and re-connecting. Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kokomodrums

kokomodrums

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2014 - 06:13 PM

My first assumption would be the power supply. Here is a link that shows a really easy to way to check if a power supply is dead/close to death:

I know it looks dangerous sticking a paper clip in a socket, but I've done it dozens of times and can vouch that it's totally safe. If you're not confident in your abilities to make sure it's unplugged before you touch the paper clip, well, then don't do it! If done correctly, it's completely safe.

What you're looking for is if the fan on the power supply spins and stays spinning. If it just spins for a few seconds then stops, the power supply needs replaced.

Edited by kokomodrums, 30 August 2014 - 06:14 PM.

-- Matt

#3 Talgian

Talgian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2014 - 09:29 PM

Thank you so much kokomodrums, your assumption is correct! I'll go ahead and replace the power supply. Does that mean my other components are probably fine?

#4 kokomodrums

kokomodrums

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2014 - 10:29 PM

It sounds like you've done a pretty good job eliminating possibilities, I would be surprised if something else was faulty.

-- Matt

#5 Talgian

Talgian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 01:27 PM

So I got the new PSU. Now my computer will work!...once in every five or so boots :( The other times it still locks up with a rotating list of LED indicators (sometimes it's the CPU, others times the RAM, etc). 

#6 kokomodrums

kokomodrums

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:28 PM

So did you test your old power supply with the paper clip test? Did the fan stay on?

The next step in troubleshooting would be to unplug everything but the CPU and one stick of RAM--the bare essentials the computer needs to POST/boot. If you can get to the BIOS and everything seems stable, start plugging in one device at a time, testing each time until you start noticing issues.

Did you get the same size power supply (750 watt)?

Unfortunately you could have a faulty motherboard, but before you go replacing such an expensive component, you want to eliminate as many possibilities as you can.

-- Matt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users