Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC recognizes External HDD. No drive letter assigned.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 flickdog93

flickdog93

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 30 August 2014 - 05:19 PM

I recently formatted my 1TB Seagate External HDD to FAT32 to backup and redo my PS3. I reformatted it on my Windows 8 laptop easy peasy, but my windows 7 desktop will not recognize it as a drive with a letter to access it. If I uninstall the drive in device manager it will reinstall, be recognized as a general drive and in that small instance it is accessible, but then it gets fully installed and is recognized as BUP Slim BK. It doesn't see any info for the drive or even know that there is a valid partition on it.

Any help to get this drive working again is much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2014 - 05:26 PM

If THIS is your drive and Seagate software governs it...I'd say that the software for the drive may need to be installed/reinstalled.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 30 August 2014 - 05:28 PM.

#3 flickdog93

flickdog93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2014 - 05:32 PM

Yupp, different color, but same thing. I remember that when I formatted it some hidden files (Seagate Files) were lost. I thought something like that might happen. I'm not sure where to get those files. I can easily install them from my laptop and try again.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:34 PM

Did you assign a drive letter in Windows 7 Disk Management?

#5 flickdog93

flickdog93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 03:51 PM

It won't let me. It sees the device, but if I try to select populate it just sits there doing nothing.

#6 flickdog93

flickdog93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 03:52 PM

My Xbox One recognizes it and can play movies from it, my windows 8 laptop sees it and that's where I moved the movies from. My windows 7 desktop will not let me access it. I'm missing the system files on the device and it may be that that is the problem, but IDK.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:09 PM

Attach the drive to the Windows 7 computer. Type CMD in the search box. Right Click > Run as Adminisitrator

Type

Diskpart

at the Diskpart prompt type

list volume

Copy and paste the results in your next post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users