Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infographic/handout for tech support phone scams?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rsakuma

rsakuma

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 30 August 2014 - 02:32 PM

Almost every single customer of mine has had a few of these calls, some even while I was with them. I was wondering, has anyone created a printable paper that one could give to a person to warn them about these scams? Or should I create one of my own?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 31 August 2014 - 06:22 AM

Thank you for asking rsakuma -

We host some topics like : beware of Phone Scamming.

Cybercriminals don't just send fraudulent email messages and set up fake websites. They might also call you on the telephone and claim to be from Microsoft. They might offer to help solve your computer problems or sell you a software license...Neither Microsoft nor our partners make unsolicited phone calls (also known as cold calls) to charge you for computer security or software fixes...Do not trust unsolicited calls. Do not provide any personal information.

Avoid tech support phone scams: What you need to know

Don’t fall for phony phone tech support

Avoid scams that use the Microsoft name fraudulently

I hope that some of these are on the topic that you have requested .........

Regards -

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:11 PM

Microsoft does not actively contact individual users to tell them their computer is infected with malware. The scam usually asks folks to open their event viewer which captures numerous warning or diagnostic messages that are normal. The event viewer is is not a malware diagnostic tool as purported. However, it could frighten folks into letting scammers access their system or take remote control of it.

Windows Support Scam - Fake phone calls actively circulating
]Windows Support Telephone Scam Additional Links

...it's a scam. Microsoft doesn't call people because of errors on their computer. Neither do ISPs, security companies, or pretty much anyone else who might claim some role of internet authority or otherwise...

Ask Leo: I got a call from Microsoft and allowed them access to my computer. What do I do now?

The scam works by criminals posing as computer security engineers and calling people at home to tell them they are at risk of a computer security threat. The scammers tell their victims they are providing free security checks and add authenticity by claiming to represent legitimate companies and using telephone directories to refer to their victims by name. Once they have tricked their victims into believing they have a problem and that the caller can help, the scammers are believed to run through a range of deception techniques designed to steal money.

Microsoft Survey Reveals Extent of Emerging Internet Phone Scam
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 rsakuma

rsakuma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 12 September 2014 - 04:44 AM

Sorry for the late response, but you both are awesome. If there was a "give user a beer" button, I'd be using it.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 12 September 2014 - 07:57 AM

We do appreciate your taking the time to express your sentiments.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users