Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

No Viddeo Signal

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Doss Wallace

Doss Wallace

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 05 June 2006 - 09:27 PM

I have a home assembled desktop. Worked fine until video would sometimes blink and turn off. Replaced video card. Didn't work. Replaced motherboard. Didn't work. Changed monitors. Didn't work. What have I done?
I have checked all connections, removed and replaced cards, etc. CPU will start up but monitor gets no signal.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 05 June 2006 - 09:40 PM

The first thing that comes to mind is, do you have a large enough power supply? The second thing that comes to mind is, do you have a spare video card that you can try temporarily?

Since you built your own, I'd assume that you know all about the danger of static electricity and that simply handling any computer component can destroy it. Sometimes, damage can be done that takes time to show up. And it could have been someone else handling it, or simply a bad video card. (or monitor!) I recently had a monitor that would no longer switch from the power saving mode back to real mode when the computer booted up, and I suspected the video card. But when I tried a different monitor, it worked perfectly and it's been working fine ever since.

#3 dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,148 posts
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 05 June 2006 - 11:46 PM

Welcome to BC.

When you changed the motheboard did you also change the RAM and CPU?

Does this happen during any specific application?

And would you please provide us with the specs for your computer.

Motherboard, CPU, RAM (amount and number of modules), PSU, OS...

btw...chips/ICs are usually what are damaged by electorstatic discharge (ESD), and the damage is usually instantaneous and the problems associated with them usually isn't intermittent.

Edited by dc3, 06 June 2006 - 12:44 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users