Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is there any way to mark videos already seen?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 mahendru1992

mahendru1992

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 30 August 2014 - 02:06 PM

Hi, as the title states, is there any way to mark videos as already seen or something to that effect. For instance, I have a lot of  episodes that i see from time to time but I don't see them everyday, thus forgetting what episode I've seen. So Is there any way I can mark those episodes as already seen so that I don't have to go back and forth to see which episode I was in? 

Thank you in advance 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 howtoconnect

howtoconnect

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:40 AM

If you are running opera browser an addon youwatch and if you are running firefox YouTube Center and for chrome Video Deck for YouTube are available you can use.

Edited by howtoconnect, 31 August 2014 - 10:50 AM.

#3 mahendru1992

mahendru1992
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 12:24 PM

I think you didn't understand what I said and probably you wouldn't since I didn't frame it coherently. Sorry for that since english isn't my first language. I'll try to explain now:

See I have lots of tv shows on windows not anywhere else. I see them on the pc every 3rd day or so. I need a way to say tick mark those episode that I've already seen. I mean is there any program that can indicate what eps I've already seen in the windows file explorer itself. I know programs such as XBMC have that feature by default, but I was looking for something, maybe some sort of plug in or software that could perform the same job on the explorer itself. 

Thank you 

#4 Plumber

Plumber

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 31 August 2014 - 02:11 PM

Me also,stupid as it may sound,I use a pad and pencil.

#5 mahendru1992

mahendru1992
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 02:51 PM

hahah yeah man. That's one way to go. But I was looking for something more automatic. I'm pretty lazy. Writing down episodes is not my cup of tea. lol. Hope somebody knows something here 

#6 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 06:22 PM

I have two methods that I use, depending on the circumstances.

One is to make another folder called "Watched" and dump all movies I have watched into it.

The problem with that is that when I am copying movies to my back up drives, I would have to go through the whole list there and put them in a "Watched" folder there too, or I find myself with duplicates.

The other method is to add a letter or number to the name.

So I hit rename and generally add a capital "X" at the end of the title, so that the movie retains its alphabetical place, but again the problem of duplicates will occur when backing up those movies to an external hard drive.

I've been watching this thread, hoping for a better solution, something like what you mentioned, where you could just check mark them or change their icon colour, or anything that would be simple to do that would make the watched ones look different from the un-watched. I feel that my two ways of doing it is rather pitiful and too complicated with regards to avoiding duplicates.

I hope someone suggests a better solution

All is well in Paradise.

#7 mahendru1992

mahendru1992
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 01:27 AM

I have two methods that I use, depending on the circumstances.

One is to make another folder called "Watched" and dump all movies I have watched into it.

The problem with that is that when I am copying movies to my back up drives, I would have to go through the whole list there and put them in a "Watched" folder there too, or I find myself with duplicates.

The other method is to add a letter or number to the name.

So I hit rename and generally add a capital "X" at the end of the title, so that the movie retains its alphabetical place, but again the problem of duplicates will occur when backing up those movies to an external hard drive.

I've been watching this thread, hoping for a better solution, something like what you mentioned, where you could just check mark them or change their icon colour, or anything that would be simple to do that would make the watched ones look different from the un-watched. I feel that my two ways of doing it is rather pitiful and too complicated with regards to avoiding duplicates.

I hope someone suggests a better solution

Yeah, I can't use the first one since I barely have any space left in any of the drives as it is. 

As for renaming, probably would be even more hectic if the episodes have really long names. 

#8 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:21 PM

Neither are great solutions.

I'm very much hoping that someone has a solution, perhaps a third party app that allows for check marking the files or maybe colouring them differently.

It sure would come in handy in my world.

All is well in Paradise.

#9 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:56 PM

If you are downloading these shows to your hard drive and then watching them, but you are running out of hard drive space, why don't you just delete them once you have watched then ?  Yes, I can understand that are a few series you might want to watch more than once, but surely not most of them.

I don't know what you watch, nor what language it is in, but if you are watching 'soap operas' at all, surely these could be safely deleted once you have watched them. I could think of the well known British soap 'Coronation Street'. It's been running for something like 50 years and I cannot imagine any reason - except for the most die-hard fan- to keep episodes after they have watched them.

You could probably delete quite a few such programmes and free up a lot of hard drive space.

Chris Cosgrove

#10 mahendru1992

mahendru1992
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:37 PM

I mostly watch shows that air in the US. Now I do delete them, but only after I'm finished with all of the seasons. Moreover, I watch a couple of shows together, maybe 3-4 at one time as I hate going on a TV marathon lol. 

However, the real problem isn't the no of shows or the amount of space they take up, it's the no of episodes I'm concerned with. As I see 3-4 shows and that too not everyday, I tend to forget which episode I'm in. Then I have go back and forth and after some hit and trial, I find the episode that I'm supposed to watch next. I'm sure some of the people who have replied in this thread face the same issue as well. 

I've also tried using XBMC, but honestly, unless I have a HTPC, I really don't think I'd find much use of the program since I don't hook up my laptop to the TV. So as rocksosua was saying, I too am hoping that there's a way to maybe color code or highlight the episodes that I've already seen in the explorer itself with the help of a program or a plug in or whatever. And of course, I find VLC easier to use than the cumbersome XBMC.

#11 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:11 PM

I finally have a decent suggestion and this will work beautifully.

There's a Ratings option to add to your toolbar in Windows Explorer.

Add it then mark watched movies as 1 and unwatched as 5 or however it best suits you.

Once you've watched the movie, change it's rating.

To change rating, right click on the file, hit properties, go to detail tab and change the rating there, then hit OK.

All is well in Paradise.

#12 mahendru1992

mahendru1992
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:14 PM

I finally have a decent suggestion and this will work beautifully.

There's a Ratings option to add to your toolbar in Windows Explorer.

Add it then mark watched movies as 1 and unwatched as 5 or however it best suits you.

Once you've watched the movie, change it's rating..

To change rating, right click on the file, hit properties, go to detail tab and change the rating there, then hit OK.

Yeah this sounds like a decent suggestion. But I can't find any ratings option in details tab

#13 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:42 PM

Here you go.

All is well in Paradise.

#14 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:45 PM

PS: I hope you like it.

I'm going to do all my movies tomorrow morning as it's too late to start that job and I have you to thank.

I've been wanting something like this for a long time and if it hadn't been for you who inspired me to get off my lazy butt and figure it out, I'd still have the same issue, so thanks.

All is well in Paradise.

#15 mahendru1992

mahendru1992
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:50 PM

PS: I hope you like it.

I'm going to do all my movies tomorrow morning as it's too late to start that job and I have you to thank.

I've been wanting something like this for a long time and if it hadn't been for you who inspired me to get off my lazy butt and figure it out, I'd still have the same issue, so thanks.

haha hey anytime. :D

But if you could just help me work this issue out. For the life of me I can't find the ratings option in the details tab. I already added the ratings column before. 

I've attached an image

and yeah this is a pretty ingenious method. So thank you too

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users