Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Freezing, GPU fan doing odd things

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 NinjaKitty

NinjaKitty

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 30 August 2014 - 11:00 AM

For about a week now, My computer will randomly freeze. Sometimes after start-up, just recently trying to watch a video on youtube while having one other chrome tab open or browsing the web. When I use the power button to turn off and on the computer, my GPU fan will kick to high speed, and nothing will load on the computer. 

I have not had any hardware changes and the computer is a fresh install of windows 7 (only a month old.) But the computer itself is a couple of years old.

I have all my specs but I cannot for the life of me find the spoiler tag to post it. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NinjaKitty

NinjaKitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 30 August 2014 - 11:07 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/5qiAWxnCceFjRMylcNqjwRK

#3 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,065 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 30 August 2014 - 12:21 PM

lets see. the one thing missing is your power supply specs.

it looks like your gpu is a hd5770. a nice one for what you are using it for, but can't be too demanding on your power supply. it looks like it is rated at 110 watts and requires one 6 pin PCIe power connection.

also, the 5770 may need to be taken out and inspected for dust build-up on the heat sink where the fan blows air through. if air can't move freely across the heatsink, heat builds up rapidly. speccy is sensing it at 49c, which can be considered above average. if the 5770 is getting a little too warm, it could cause the display freezing and hyperactive fan speed that you describe, so this may be a hardware topic.

it looks like your other temperatures are nothing to cause alarm.

one more thing, did this behavior start after a win7 update install? it looks like the installs have been quite busy in the last two weeks, and the 5770 drivers are from a few years back.

it is kind of common for the win7 auto-updates to hose up or even over-ride a display driver, so it is also common to install/update graphics card drivers regularly. i will link up to the 5000 series card driver host in case you do have the 5750 instead of the 5770. your report just says 5700 series.

http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/graphics/desktop/5000

Edited by synergy513, 30 August 2014 - 02:25 PM.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users