Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just another "what laptop should I buy" post!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Hotwired99

Hotwired99

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 30 August 2014 - 09:55 AM

Hi all,

I see dozens of "which laptop I should buy" but none of them quite addressed my questions. Here is a quick list of data. Please guide me to the right one! Windows only please. Nothing against Apple, but it's like .... the difference between reading a book in english or french. I don't want to spend the time to learn a new operating system.

1. I run 3 businesses (real estate, web design, lawn care) and I like to write. I have a big i7 machine (desktop) already at home so don't need dt replacement but something that performs snappily.

2. I'd like to be able to do some mobile guitar and vocal recording eventually

3. I don't NEED to have it be an "ultra book" but it should be reasonable compact and portable because...

4. I will also travel with it

5. Price isn't huge deal although I don't think I need a Razor Blade $3,000 gaming machine (because I don't ever ever play any games) though I'd be suspicious of anything under $500 as being "not enough"

6. speed is important! i7 would be nice though I'm not clear on the "real world" experience of i5 vs. i7. Is it worth the extra?

7. From what I've seen so far ... SSD is a must. prefer 256 though 128 would be ok (can always use external for movies)

8. Battery life is ultra important. When traveling, I don't want something that I can maybe watch one movie and check my email once, then it's back in my backpack until we get to the hotel. My old Dell Inspiron 14 is 1-2 hours max and I don't like that...might as well treat it as a plug in. That being said, it doesn't have to be 12 hours, but 5-6 "no matter what" hours would be awfully nice.

9. At home, I'll use it for quick, light duty (email, wunderlist, light browsing) but will probably use it alot to hook to TV and play recorded (ripped) DVDs and streaming quite often. Will also watch movies and shows directly on it from time to time.

I hope this is useful! I can pick specs as well as anyone else, but I think it's brand that makes the difference. I'd like the keyboard to be "usable" and not have to go from 60 WPM to hunt and peck, if you know what I mean?

I've seen info on Lenovo Thinkpad XT Carbon and that looks pretty nifty. I've had Dell and had good luck with them except you pretty much have to reformat them before you can use them (bloatware) XPS 13 seemed to have decent reviews. They used to have XPS 14 but no longer?? Samsung Series 9, and Asus Zenbook Prime...these are all "ultra books" and I don't necessarily need an ultrabook, I'd go up to 14" and weight is not HUGE deal. I'm going to lean toward NOT needing DVD drive though I might regret that someday ...

Hope this is just enough info to get some meaningful advice??

If you're not exhausted...I'll also be buying my daughter (8th grade) one for Christmas and would love input on a snappy but under 1K machine for her too! (i5 / 128G SSD / 14" max) Thank you!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Hotwired99

Hotwired99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2014 - 09:56 AM

One more thing: I'm not sure if touch screen is important. w a tablet yes, I'm not sure if I'd use touch screen much with a laptop...?? I'll leave it up to you learned folks to guide me on that one!

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,282 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 30 August 2014 - 12:12 PM

New Egg has this ASUS N56JN-EB71 today only for $829.  I don't know what the battery life on it is.

#4 Hotwired99

Hotwired99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2014 - 12:39 PM

It vioates 2 of my most important: has to be SSD, has to be 14" max. The Asus at NewEgg is 15.6 and 750G regular hard drive. Thank you anyway though.

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,282 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 30 August 2014 - 12:57 PM

Then you're really looking for an Ultrabook.  I can recommend HP's ElitebBook Folio 9480m.  I have used the 9470m version previously.

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,282 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2014 - 04:34 PM

This is what I thought also: Ultrabook=SSD...right?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#7 Hotwired99

Hotwired99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 05:52 AM

Many ultrabooks seem to come sith sATA drives. Not every ultra comes with SSD, I don't believe. And frankly, I'd rather have a regular 14" laptop vs. ultrabook (which seems to center more around the 13.3 size). 14" seems to be just right to me. I have heard good things about the xt Envy from HP but not the one you mention @BC Advisor . I'll check that one out. ... I'm starting to think I should jump ship and go to apple. Too many choices in the PC world it seems. I love Apple's way of giving 3-4 choices, but I'm also a web designer and own a couple other businesses which makes some limitations. 

any opinion on Dells? I have used 14" Inspiron with little trouble over 5 years. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users