Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gigabyte GA-945GCM-S2L upgrade CPU to E8500

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 krneki

krneki

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:23 AM

I'd like to upgrade CPU on Gigabyte GA-945GCM-S2L motherboard to E8500, but it's written on official website that it's only supported by overclocking "(F6(by Overclocking)". What's that supposed to mean? I know in general what overclocking is, but I can't imagine what would I need to do in order to successfully boot up system after upgrade. Could you give me advise, maybe a tutorial on that one?

It's also very weird for Core™ 2 Quad support. Judging by gigabyte.com support it's supposed to be supported, but on unofficial ones, I've seen that it isn't. Which one really applies?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,087 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 30 August 2014 - 09:44 AM

I would say it's probably because the i945 chipset does not officially support FSB (front side bus) speed above 1066mhz.  The earliest ones to do so officially were the "Bearlake" chipsets (P31/P35/G31/G33/G35 etc.). 

The processor you are thinking about buying uses a 1333mhz FSB.  Therefore in order to run the CPU at standard speeds, you will have to run the motherboard chipset faster than it was intended to go.

The FSB on these CPU's is quad-pumped, so effectively you would set the FSB speed in the motherboard BIOS to 333mhz (333.33 x 4 = 1333).

It's important to note that RAM speed is also linked to the FSB speed.  You would possibly have to adjust the FSB:Memory ratio.  If you set the ratio at 1:1 this would run the DDR2 memory at roughly 667 mhz (333.33 x 2 = 666.66) which is correct for PC2-5300 DDR2.  If you wanted the RAM to run at 800mhz (for PC2-6400 speed), you would need to select a FSB:Memory ratio of 5:6.  The motherboard normally previews the speeds before making any changes so don't worry too much about the maths..

You probably won't need to but sometimes when overclocking the chipset you may need to increase the chipset (MCH) voltage a little to achieve stability.  In my old P965 chipset board (which also officially only went to 1066mhz FSB) this wasn't needed until you went over 1600mhz FSB.

Core 2 Quads do not appear to be supported on this motherboard.

Edited by jonuk76, 30 August 2014 - 09:58 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users