Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD Size Conundrum

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases

• Members
  • 570 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 30 August 2014 - 02:28 AM

Okay - I have a Seagate ST3250410AS HDD. This drive is, according to the label, and to the online specs that I've found, a 250 GB HDD. However... Windows, Partition Magic, and Speccy all report it as a 31 GB HDD. I know that this is most likely a partition issue, but I cannot for the life of me figure it out. Partition Magic says that the drive only contains the single partition, and that it is at its maximum size.

Anyone have any ideas about this?

~   Notorious Thread Killer   ~

Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,822 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 30 August 2014 - 10:04 AM

I would do the following

It's possible partition magic does not see a different file system on the disk. Possibly linux based?

If you do not want to do the bootable version, install the windows version of Partition Wizard. I like using the bootable version because everything is done outside of windows.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:47 PM

What version of Windows is used?

Louis

#4 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 570 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2014 - 06:01 PM

JohnC, I'll be doing that this evening.

hamluis, I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate.

Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,822 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2014 - 06:11 PM

If there is another partition on the drive shown as EXT4 (using partition wizard) or similar indicating a linux file system there may be data on it. You should probably boot a linux disk like Puppy and see if there is info on that partition.

#6 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 570 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2014 - 06:54 PM

The only thing that Partition Wizard shows is 31.5 GB of unallocated space. After a drive wipe, partition creation, and format, this is still the reported size.

Edited by MelissaPleases, 02 September 2014 - 06:54 PM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,822 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:24 PM

I am not sure why that would be. When you look at the disk in Partition Wizard does it show unallocated space along with a partition or just the single 31.5GB partiton?

What does BIOS indicate for size?

I was doing a search and it seems some of the older drives have a jumper to limit the disk to 32GB. What is the make and model of the drive?

Also see this

Edit: Did you format FAT32 or NTFS?

Edited by JohnC_21, 02 September 2014 - 08:26 PM.

#8 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:25 PM

Something weird going on there.

What size is the drive detected as in the BIOS?  It's often in "Standard CMOS Features".

How is this drive connected  - internal, external, through a USB adapter?  And is it connected to the computer in your signature, or something else?

A few things come to mind, like it was possible for some older computers to have a BIOS limitation on drives at around 32Gb.  However, I wouldn't expect this to affect relatively new computers, or most things using SATA - this limit really dates back to IDE drives.

Also are there any jumpers fitted to the jumper block on the HDD?  If so, remove them.

EDIT good link there JohnC.  Very interesting.

Edited by jonuk76, 02 September 2014 - 08:37 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#9 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 570 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:38 PM

The drive is a Seagate ST3250410AS. It is formatted as NTFS. That's an interesting link, but unfortunately, that little freeware app is not compatible with Win 7 64-bit. :(

It's an internal drive, connected to the SATA-2 drive port. Yes, it is in the computer that's in my sig - however, I mistakenly identified it as a WD drive... Ooops! Gotta fix that...

As for jumpers, it's getting a bit late here for me to be breaking open my case. I will do so in the morning.

Thanks for the help - I appreciate it. :)

Edit to Add: The BIOS detects it as a 33.8 GB drive

Edited by MelissaPleases, 02 September 2014 - 09:44 PM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,822 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2014 - 07:16 AM

According to the specs, there is a jumper that changes the drive to SATA 1. Try a SATA 3 port on the MB if one is available if there is no jumper on the back.

SeagateBarracuda.gif

#11 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 570 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2014 - 08:03 AM

Okay, I opened the case, and there was in fact a jumper. I removed it, rebooted, and went into the BIOS. The BIOS still sees it as a 33.8 GB drive. After a full boot, Windows still sees it as a 31.3 GB drive. Unfortunately, there is no SATA 3 port available. And finally, as a side note, the diagram you posted above lays out the back of the drive in exactly the reverse order of what I saw on the drive - starting from the left, there is the SATA power connector, then the SATA interface connector, and then the jumper block. Also, befroe removing the jumper, it was on the two right pins, not the left.

Edited by MelissaPleases, 03 September 2014 - 08:04 AM.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,822 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2014 - 09:26 AM

What is kind of weird is the 33.8GB was a limit on older BIOS's which yours is not. I am wondering if it some kind of problem with the SATA controller on the drive itself. Can you attach it to another computer and see what the BIOS detects it as?

#13 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 September 2014 - 09:31 AM

If you do not need any of the data on the drive, then wipe the entire drive with Killdisk. It will show any partitions regardless of the file system that's on that partition, You should get the entire drive after the low level format and then you can format any file system on it

http://www.killdisk.com/downloadfree.htm

Get the DOS version and burn the .iso with your favorite .iso burning program to make a bootable cd disk with it. Do not wipe each partition but the entire drive, I think it has an 80h label to it

Edited by Joe C, 03 September 2014 - 09:43 AM.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2014 - 10:49 AM

FWIW:  SeaTools for DOS also features a utility for allowing users to define drive size.  I only played with on a drive which I knew was bad, but it seems possible that someone used that to define the drive size.

Louis

#15 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 570 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 02:04 PM

If you do not need any of the data on the drive, then wipe the entire drive with Killdisk. It will show any partitions regardless of the file system that's on that partition, You should get the entire drive after the low level format and then you can format any file system on it

http://www.killdisk.com/downloadfree.htm

Get the DOS version and burn the .iso with your favorite .iso burning program to make a bootable cd disk with it. Do not wipe each partition but the entire drive, I think it has an 80h label to it

Thanks, Joe - I've been considering this. I use Killdisk before each clean reinstallation of Windows, which I do once every year or so.

FWIW:  SeaTools for DOS also features a utility for allowing users to define drive size.  I only played with on a drive which I knew was bad, but it seems possible that someone used that to define the drive size.

Louis

I also have SeaTools, so I'll poke around with that before I go wiping with Killdisk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users