Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ESET NOD32 Anti Virus 4 for Linux Desktop : Unable to launch GUI from Launcher

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Agent_Orange

Agent_Orange

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:47 PM

Hi all,

I recently installed Ubuntu 14.04 and set about downloading and installing ESET NOD32 Anti virus 4 for Linux Desktop.

Once installed I noticed that the GUI launches at initial system start up (allowing me to perform scans etc) but once closed , cannot be re-opened via the launcher - pressing "launch" does nothing as does pinning it to the launcher and double clicking or trying to launch the program that way.

Any ideas on what the problem may, how to rectify the issue?

Edited by Agent_Orange, 30 August 2014 - 12:05 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 30 August 2014 - 04:28 PM

Wow, first day and 442 views, what does that mean?

1. Lots of others have had the same issue but are not commenting? Hmm, good luck!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#3 Agent_Orange

Agent_Orange
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2014 - 10:58 PM

lol....could be pcpunk,

Never mind - I can scan my system at start up which is probably all I need to be doing.

Just seeing a GUI is comforting (have not seen many of them so far using Linux....lol).

Edited by Agent_Orange, 30 August 2014 - 10:59 PM.

#4 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 12:25 AM

Just out of interest, mate -

1. Have you seen http://www.consult-ed.org/microblogs/cloud/sudo-apt-get-update-eset ?
  2. If so/not, had you followed something like "Right click on the downloaded installer [eset_nod32av_64bit_en_.linux] and select >Properties >Permissions; check off the box for "Execute: Allow executing file as program", then "Close" the input dialogue. "?

Cheers

Wiz

#5 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 07 September 2014 - 12:00 PM

If push comes to shove, you can launch a scan of your system from the command line. Open a terminal window and type in sudo /opt/eset/esets/sbin/esets_scan. You might want to ls -l the /opt directory to make sure eset is installed there, although that is the default directory for it. If you want to be more specific about what is scanned, add -h to the end of the sudo command for a help directory listing of what the command line options are and what they do. For more detail info, enter man esets_scan at the command line for the manual page.

#6 Agent_Orange

Agent_Orange
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 11:38 PM

Hi guys,

Thanks for your assistance and input.

If so/not, had you followed something like "Right click on the downloaded installer [eset_nod32av_64bit_en_.linux] and select >Properties >Permissions; check off the box for "Execute: Allow executing file as program", then "Close" the input dialogue. "?

Thanks for that Wiz, I did follow those instructions.

If push comes to shove, you can launch a scan of your system from the command line. Open a terminal window and type in sudo /opt/eset/esets/sbin/esets_scan.

Thanks BC Advisor, that is handy to know - for now I have simply been updating the signature database and running a scan at start up. At some point I will get around to re-installing the product correctly but not sure when that will be as I am taking a look at Kubuntu and may switch to that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users