Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Problems Acer v5

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Theral

Theral

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:01 PM

Okay. So this is the present issue: The USB ports are not registering whatsoever. When I start the laptop it says "The last USB device plugged in was not recognized" No matter what I plug into any of the ports it does absolutely nothing.

This isn't my laptop and the guy it belongs to would rather I not wipe his recovery drive because he says "It's the only way I know how to reformat".

I did a full factory reset and wiped absolutely everything when I got it, then got Microsoft Security Essentials on and updated(Had to remove Norton) fully updated windows, etc. And this issue was there the entire time. I've tried opening an elevated command prompt while it was on normally and while in safe mode and running sfc /scannow  and it finds issues but it cannot fix them.

When I check out the device manager it lists two devices as 'unrecognized'. I only have a very slight idea of what I'm doing and I'd love to figure out what the hell is wrong here, but I'm spinning in circles. Any helpful advice or links to advice on what to do to resolve this would be wonderful.   I can do a full reformat and install, but I've been loathe to do it since he doesn't want that done.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 marry_smith

marry_smith

• Banned Spammer
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 30 August 2014 - 01:24 AM

You just disable & re-enable USB controllers on your system.

Right click on start button & click run

Type devmgmt.msc, and then click OK. Device Manager opens

Right click the first USB controller under Universal Serial Bus controllers, and then click Uninstall to remove it. Restart the computer. After the computer starts, Windows will automatically scan for hardware changes and reinstall all the USB controllers that you uninstalled

#3 Theral

Theral
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2014 - 09:22 AM

Okay. I did that and now ONE of the three USB ports work. I dunno why I didn't think to do that before. I feel really stupid now -.o; Any idea why only one would work?

#4 bomatt6

bomatt6

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2014 - 09:40 PM

Maybe look on the manufacture website for the computer you have and make sure your usb drivers are up to date.

#5 Theral

Theral
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:32 AM

I tried looking on Acer's webpage but I don't know if I'm having a stupid moment or not but I can't seem to find drivers. I even used their search by Serial Number feature and it comes up with nothin'.

#6 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:46 AM

There are also options to Auto-detect my Serial Number & Search by Product.

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support

You can also check the BIOS settings to see if all USB ports are enabled (if that is an option)

#7 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 06:44 PM

This may be the same as a similar situation that I ran into recently, where I had been installing drivers on a machine with a new Win 8 OS. The USB3 driver didn't take.

I can't remember exactly what it said, but it had failed.

After the next reboot, none of the USB ports worked anymore.

To my surprise, despite being told that the USB3 installation had failed, there it was in the Programs and Features folder in the Control Panel.

I uninstalled it, rebooted and all 3 USB ports worked again.

Here's hoping that works for you too.

All is well in Paradise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users