Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I get the best quality in ripping DVDs to my PC?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 29 August 2014 - 10:59 PM

Hi,

I've tried the method in this YouTube video playlist "Home Theater How-To" to set up ripping my DVD collection to my PC but I'm not sure that it's the best way to do this.

I'm looking for the best quality I can get in a DVD / Blu-ray rip.

Can anyone recommend a way to get the best quality out of a DVD / Blu-ray rip? I'd like to preserve the 720 / 1080 large formate to play the rip from on my PC to my flat pannel TV.

Thanks,

John

PS One thing to mention about this YouTube video play list, it has hepled me get an increadable improvement in sound quality. I had no idea that my PC could make such beautifal music. Microsoft really is irresposible not including a better codec pack in the default stuff.

In fact following the recommendations in this video made me aware that recording my CD collection to my PC was premature since even the sound quality of ripping my CDs to wav is terrible compaird to recording off of a program called "Audials".

I made a post here about that.

PPS Media Browser for a home entertainment center rocks!

Edited by Johnz414, 29 August 2014 - 11:00 PM.

John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 PanickyD

PanickyD

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 29 September 2014 - 08:37 PM

Check out this guide by the gurus at Maximum PC.

It should be exactly what you're looking for

After the game, the King and the Pawn go into the same box...

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 10:36 PM

The best quality way to rip the disks is by copying the image from the disk itself. This gives you 0 compression, so you will lose nothing in the process, but it will use a lot of hard disk space.

Here is a tutorial on how to achieve this with BurnAware, though there are other free products that will achieve the same thing.

Once you have your ISO's  (disk images) you can play them back using most good media players. My preference is VLC. The playback will be just like you are playing the original disk, menus included.

Cheers

TsVk!

edit: here's a recent list of other free programs that are good for ripping your disks. Take your pick on the features you want.

Edited by TsVk!, 01 October 2014 - 10:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users