Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Copying CDs to computer not as good quality as recording through Audials?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 501 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 29 August 2014 - 10:39 PM

Hi,

I don't get this, I've copied my CD collection to my PC to wav files and the quality isn't anywhere near as good as recording music to my PC through the program "Audials"? Why?

Isn't wav the best? Even listening to music through the stations on Audials is much better than listening to my wav recorded files?

Also, re-coding mp3 files to wma lossless recorded off of Audials is much better quality than my CD collection recorded to wav.

So, what am I missng here? I need a better way to record my CDs to my PC apparently.

How would I do that to match the quality of the Internet Radio stations so that I can enjoy my own CD collection as much?

Anyone,

John

PS Audials I got through Giveawayoftheday.

Edited by Johnz414, 29 August 2014 - 11:03 PM.

John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:35 AM

Hi John,

took a long time to reply to this post(in my eyes)

this will open a can of worms i feel far too subjective,but here goes 

1 far too many variables

2 depends on a good source

3 software and hardware(audio cards etc)

4 Your ability to process the noise (comp,hi fi ,bit rate, sample rate and your ears)

Right let's see if I can now work through these.

1 Not much I can do here(let's hope 2,3 and 4 help)

2a A good source is vital (although there are plenty of audio editors to help) it's very hard to improve on an original,so the best thing to do is make sure you have the best source.

Sorry been called away (I will continue ASAP)

Hedge   

#3 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 501 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:56 PM

I did find this article here:

http://www.advisor.com/story/how-get-radio-station-sound-your-own-music-collection

Seems to be promissing for getting what I'm after, have to look into it some more, seems quit involved.

The program he's talking about apparently cost $50, so I'll have to wait till I'm sure I want to do it and can fit it into my budget.

John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

#4 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 03 September 2014 - 02:27 AM

Hi john 

Sorry to be so long, this is proving harder than I thought,

a bit of an up date though,

EAC ((exact audio copy)Free, by the way) is an excellent Audio ripper,when used with LAME (mp3),

configuration is a bit of a pain, but when configured to UberStanderd (whole web site on this and sharing CDs to the standard)

The link Below Explains the set up (and in bold at the top download links for both)

http://uberstandard.blogspot.co.uk/2010/02/how-to-make-mp3s-using-eac-and-lame.html

and a link to the UberStandard web site

http://www.chrismyden.com/uber/index.php

EAC will also rip in many formats (mp3 WMA etc)

worth a read

Good luck 

Hedge

Just to add Exceptional quality downloads can be found in this link(24 bit masters and the like,but limited and cost)

http://www.linnrecords.com/catalogue.aspx?format=studio

Hedge

Edited by hedgeley, 03 September 2014 - 02:35 AM.

#5 PanickyD

PanickyD

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 04 October 2014 - 03:53 AM

You didn't state what program you used to rip cd's into .wav files. The program itself may be the reason .wavs don't sound good.

I agree with hedgeley that EAC is the best ripper you can get (free too) then use whichever compressor you want to convert the resulting .wav files into something smaller. If you want a lossless codec, I suggest FLAC because it's recognized by most players. That being said, FLAC files are still big compared to MP3 files. I use the LAME MP3 codec too, but set it's output to Studio Quality VBR, and no joint stereo. (joint stereo blends L & R low frequencies into a mono channel to save more space, but has a slightly noticeable whooshing or phasing type sound as it jumps back and forth across the frequency cut-off point) My MP3s sound fantastic and can't tell the difference between them and the actual CDs. The Uberstandard setup that hedgeley links to is ok, but I'm anal about music and tweaked the setup further to get the most accurate rips for my specific drives. Here is a link for a offset correction database to use in the drive setup section of EAC. If you take the time to set up EAC just the way you want, you will love it. I put a disc in, click one button, and wait for it to pop the disc out when it's done. It names the MP3s just how I like them and puts them in subfolders in my music folder.

After the game, the King and the Pawn go into the same box...

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 04 October 2014 - 07:12 PM

See also this for it might help http://audials.com/en/s/converter_conversion/audio/convert_wav_to_wma.html

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users