Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I can't log into Windows Vista

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 pumex

pumex

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 29 August 2014 - 10:03 PM

I'd like to ask for help with my HP laptop (Windows Vista, Home Premium, don't know how many bits).

I haven't used my laptop for last 2-3 months. A few days ago I tried to use it again. When is started, an AVG pop-up appeared (I don't think it asked for my username and password), offering me to buy their program as the free version expired. I didn't want to do it, so I declined it - I think I "X-ed" it, or used other way, if it was possible, but I don't remember what I did exactly. After that, I tried to use Firefox, google html, but it didn't start! I tried a couple other sites, but Firefox didn't work either for them, so I decided to restart the laptop.This time I was asked for the password after I selected the only account that I have there (one username). I used my proper password, but got this error message:

"Windows Security. The system could not log you on. Verify your user name and domain are correct and then type your password again. Letters in passwords must be typed using the correct case. Verify the Caps Lock is off."

I used the correct password and the correct case. I tried logging on a couple time, it didn't work. I don't know why the error message talks about "domain". My user name was Ok, as I have only one. This laptop is a part of the wireless network that I have at home. I haven't notice any problems with other parts of the network, although they are not-Windows based (imacs).

Thanks in advance for help in making this laptop working again.

pumex

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:36 PM

Forgive me for asking, but are you sure you are using the correct password? I've seen many instances where users keep typing in the password to another computer or account. I've done it myself. :( 

Can you remember the computer name you gave the laptop? This is a long shot -- but try logging in as computername\username. Note the backslash.

#3 browniebrownie141

browniebrownie141

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 30 August 2014 - 03:28 AM

Well, do you think you can start your computer in safe mode with networking ? 

turn ON the power button, "perhaps" taping the F8 button ( different manufacturer may have it listed on different F-keys)

if F8 is the right one and it takes you to that menu screen, select start your windows safe mode with networking,....

if successful, you may want to uninstall the unwanted-AVG, then using your desired anti-virus software to once again runs once, just to make sure your computer is not infected. 

Then, restarts your computer normally...hope it helps !

#4 pumex

pumex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2014 - 01:30 PM

Thanks, sflatechguy.

Yes, I tried the right combination a number of times; it didn't work.

Thanks, browniebrownie141.

I will try going to safe mode with networking. In fact, I tried safe mode already, but used the option of the last good working... something, but it didn't work.

I'll try that and will report you the results.

Best regards.

pumex

#5 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,257 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2014 - 01:41 PM

If Safe Mode doesn't address it, and Vista came installed on the computer, press F8 as soon as it reboots and before the Windows icon appears and in the recovery console, see if you can reset the computer to an earlier system restore point.

#6 pumex

pumex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2014 - 02:20 PM

I've just tried using Safe Mode/networking, which took me to the log on screen, with the username selected already and I added the password, but I got the answer: "The name or password is incorrect". I clicked ok OK and another log on page opened, with my username given and waiting for the password. Under the password field, where I didn't put anything yet, was an option: "Reset password".

So I didn't used the password again and didn't try to reset it, because I don't know if it is safe and if it will work.

What can I do to fix it?

pumex

#7 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,257 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2014 - 02:25 PM

Resetting the password may prompt you to input the old one first. Sounds like the file where your password is stored may be corrupt. Your only options may be to see if resetting it works, or reinstalling the operating system. :(

#8 pumex

pumex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2014 - 02:44 PM

Thanks.

So I should try to reset the password first and hope for the best? Does it involve just selecting the new password, or will I be asked by the system to do anything else?

pumex

#9 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,257 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2014 - 02:49 PM

Resetting is probably your best option at this point. As I said, it may ask for your old password first.

If that works, you should be good. If not, you'll have to reinstall the OS.

#10 pumex

pumex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2014 - 02:58 PM

Tx, I will try

#11 pumex

pumex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2014 - 03:16 PM

I clicked on the "Reset password" and saw error message: "No Drive. This feature requires removable media, such as a floppy disk or USB flash drive. Please insert a floppy disk or connect a USB flash drive and then try again. I put  USB flash drive I had available, with some stuff on it, then I clicked OK and went to "Welcome to the Password Reset Wizard". There was a note there: "To use this wizard, you must have created a password reset disk"; I clicked on Next (which looked to me as the only thing to do there) and this screen appeared: "The password key disk is the following drive:" and it was showing the actual USB slot where the flash drive was (F). I clicked on Next, but got a bad news (error): "This disk is not a password reset disk". It was a bit strange, before earlier it asked just for a floppy or a flash drive, not "a password reset disk".

So, am I totally doomed, or is it possible to get a password reset disk and use it at this point?

Thanks again.

pumex

#12 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,257 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2014 - 03:37 PM

Unless you created a password reset disk on a USB drive or CD before all this happened, that password reset option won't work. The reset disk has to be created on your system, using your password. There's no way to create one now.

Your only option now is to reinstall Vista.

#13 pumex

pumex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2014 - 03:59 PM

But I think it was pre-installed on the laptop and it's possible that I din't get a copy of Vista. Is there any chance for me to have that laptop working?

pumex

#14 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,257 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2014 - 04:44 PM

Because Vista came preinstalled, you should be able to do a factory restore from the recovery console. Directions on how to do so are here, under "Starting a recovery from the hard drive and the computer is off." You will have to boot into the recovery console and select Microsoft System Restore. You should be able to back up your files; instructions on how to do that are in the same link.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00809678&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=uk&dlc=en&lang=en&lc=en&os=4062#N405

#15 pumex

pumex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:36 PM

Tx.

I will try that.

pumex

0 user(s) are reading this topic