Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows xp pro, dual hard drives and the internet

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tds524

tds524

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 29 August 2014 - 07:08 PM

The problem is, I have 2 hard drives, one is loaded with about 3% space left and the other has 96% free space. I would like to run the internet from the 2nd hard drive (x). So i guess the question is, is that possible? Whats the easiest way to go from one hard drive to the next? And does it make any sense to do this? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:31 PM

OK. Lets clear up what seems to be your misunderstanding of your computer hard drive & the internet.

The internet isn't run from your hard drive, & by just having internet doesn't actually use up any hard drive space.

Things you may download & save from the internet, documents, pictures, music, software etc does require some storage space on your hard drive.

Sounds like what you may really want is to free up some space on your primary hard drive. Correct?

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#3 tds524

tds524
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:55 AM

Ah ok. Actually I guess what I'm trying to do is speed up the internet. I get slow buffering on some sites. Then the video will stop and go. Some pages are slow to load. High cpu memory usage. that kind of thing.I did clean the junk out of the hard drive and it's a little better. Any suggestions? I'm going to search this site for other threads on this too.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 30 August 2014 - 04:21 PM

If the nearly full drive is your primary drive - ie has your Windows and other applications on it - and has only 3% or so free it is too full already. Your Windows drive typically needs at least 15% spare capacity for Windows to work efficiently, and this is probably why you are running into lags.

Your best bet is to move blocks of data over to your nearly empty drive. Things like your music files, photos, videos. These all take up big chunks of space and can all be accessed perfectly well from another drive, and the easiest way to move them is 'Drag and drop' in Windows Explorer.

If you have your music in a folder called music in your 'C' drive, just click on the folder and drag it into the other drive. If your music, and I am just using this as an example, is in several different folders then create a folder called 'Music' on your second drive and just drag all these folders into it. And repeat as necessary for photos, videos, etc..

If you want an explanation of how to do this with Windows Explorer, post back.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 tds524

tds524
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:58 AM

Thanks! I knew there had to be an easy way. Master drive has 46% free space.

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,663 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2014 - 03:25 PM

Please add some more info to be clear.

Do you have XP Pro installed on both HDD's?

I really don't have much computer experience so can't help you much, but you should NOT be running Windows XP from ANY pc's on the internet, and certainly not with Windows Explorer Browser!

You will damage the system with infections and it will become unusable, if you haven't already.

Are you not aware of this thread?  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/534817/end-of-support-for-windows-xp-sp3-is-april-8-2014/

Be careful! hope you have a paid AV software and lots of other stuff to try and keep you from being infected.

Also go here and look into a Linux install for one of your HDD's, or a dual boot, or an upgrade to Windows 7

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/11/linux-unix/

The Linux O.S. will be much faster and way more safe.  You can also do a google search for anything linux or look at that link for stuff at B.C.com.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#7 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:59 PM

If you are behind a router and have a updated software firewall and antivirus installed it does not matter if the XP OS is not supported by Microsoft.  The thought that still running XP after the end of updates will lead to infections is a fear factor done to make users upgrade/buy new equipment.  I know businesses that are still running Windows 95/98 due to custom software and they are just fine behind their firewall routers.

A lot of PC users seem to be unaware of how to use System Tools [off the Accessories menu].  One of those tools is disk cleanup.  Using disk cleanup allows you to delete all the temp files that get written to your hard drive with each internet session.  Clear these out on a regular basis will make your pc happier to have the space.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users