Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

After Windows 8 Update constant ding sound

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ep2002

ep2002

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 29 August 2014 - 06:21 PM

Hi,

To help others b/c I just wasted 2-3 hours of my time & may still have to spend more time.

As USUAL with Window 8 BLEEPING UPDATES, it has screwed with my computer. This is an ONGOING issue every time there is an update & even sometimes with Windows 7.

This time after the update every 2-10 minutes I'd hear that ding sound you get like the asterick, when a new program is trying to access your Windows, etc.

I wasn't able to fix it & finally someone searched online & someone mentioned that it may be one of 3 pieces of software. Since I also use Malwarebytes, I decided to open it & sure enough, it wouldn't open.

After trying multiple times, I finally uninstalled it & the sound is gone.

HATE WINDOWS even more then I disliked them before. XP was ALWAYS WONDERFUL, it never screwed around with my computer.

I just spent almost an hour fixing VPN/DNS issues all b/c of this update.

HTH

Michelle

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,986 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 29 August 2014 - 07:31 PM

My first thought is....was this a for real Windows update.

Open Windows Update manually and see if that update is listed.

Then there is this: Microsoft ships replacement patch KB 2993651 with two known bugs | Microsoft windows - InfoWorld

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 ep2002

ep2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2014 - 07:56 PM

How do I get to that area. I see check for updates or turn it off/on & I don't want to click on those for obvious reasons.

Thanks

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,986 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:13 PM

Here's one way: Quick way to find out installed updates on your Windows 8  (other methods are mentioned in the replies)

Want to quickly find out the installed updates on your Windows computer?

Press Win+R, paste the following and hit Enter.

C:\Windows\explorer.exe shell:::{d450a8a1-9568-45c7-9c0e-b4f9fb4537bd}

You will see the list of installed updates on your Windows PC.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 ep2002

ep2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:22 PM

Thank you for that.

Ok, I'm confused. It says Aug. 13th, but the message on the desktop login screen said my Windows will restart for updates within 2 days. It must have updated something otherwise I wouldn't have had that problem & MBAM was working prior to the reboot.

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,986 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:23 PM

Did you read the article I linked to? I read some of it. After reading that I am at a loss to offer any suggestion on what

update should be deleted...not deleted...or what problems or bugs now are occurring due to the latest patch.

Maybe someone else will have figured it all out. Otherwise, you might want to wait and see what Microsoft's next move is.

That is if the computer is not experiencing more problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users