Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

At my wits end!! Can't solve 100% disk usage problem

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 musicman2242

musicman2242

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 29 August 2014 - 04:13 PM

Hi all, I am new to the forum (first post) and I am in desperate need of some help..

For the last several weeks my pc has been showing 100% disk usage pretty much all the time. The pc is SUPER slow, laggy and completely freezes up whenever I click anything. I have tried several things to solve the problem including changing my anti virus, resetting my pc back to factory(9 hrs later) Tried booting in safe mode (still froze solid) used the troubleshooter, turned off the auto defrag, used the auto repair (failed).. I know there is more, but it escapes me at the moment.. I just don't know what to do Nothing I've tried worked.. Can anyone help?? Here's my pc info

Gateway

Windows 8

AMD A6-5200 APU with Radeon HD 8400 graphics 

1TB Hard Drive 

10gb DDR3 Memory 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 29 August 2014 - 05:01 PM

Have you run diagnostics on the hard drive?  Since the problem continues after a factory reset that points to a hardware issue.

#3 musicman2242

musicman2242
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2014 - 05:27 PM

I haven't but, I will if I can get the pc to let me do anything 

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2014 - 05:36 PM

From that I'd try pulling the drive and connecting to another machine to pull as much data as you can before doing anything else.

#5 musicman2242

musicman2242
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2014 - 06:14 PM

Okay I ran the diagnostic and wow there are a lot of errors.. There was one critical (see pic) Most of this is past my level of comprehension..

musicman-albums-pc-picture68718-img-0000

Sorry for the crappy pic taken from my tablet 

#6 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 30 August 2014 - 09:32 PM

See if you can provide us the files from C:\windows\minidump so we can take a look. Also, publish a speccy report following this procedure...http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323892/publish-a-snapshot-using-speccy/#entry1797792

#7 musicman2242

musicman2242
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 02:28 PM

OK as an update.. My pc now won't boot past the Gateway logo screen.. I was going to get the minidump info when I found this out

#8 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 31 August 2014 - 06:47 PM

I can't imagine the problem being anything but a bad hard drive.

When you do an OEM restore and it takes 9 hours and still runs like krap, what else could it be.

I hope your data is backed up.

All is well in Paradise.

#9 musicman2242

musicman2242
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:05 PM

When you do an OEM restore and it takes 9 hours and still runs like krap, what else could it be.

I actually don't have a thing on it. All of my personal files and such are on another pc... Since it looks like I have to change the hard drive, is it possible to reuse my Windows 8 product key? 

#10 gigahurtz

gigahurtz

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:10 PM

I actually don't have a thing on it. All of my personal files and such are on another pc... Since it looks like I have to change the hard drive, is it possible to reuse my Windows 8 product key? 

That should not be an issue at all. I would get yourself another hard drive and get it installed and restore. You should be in good shape after that.

#11 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:42 PM

The activation code is built into Win 8 machines, so that won't be an issue.

Do you have any Win 8 media to install from?

Perhaps media is the wrong term.

DVD's or USB drives, etc. for installing 8 on a new hard drive.

All is well in Paradise.

#12 musicman2242

musicman2242
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:47 PM

No I don't. I'm hoping to find someone at my work that has one I can borrow.  I have time to get one as I can't afford to purchase a new hard drive right now anyway. 

#13 kokomodrums

kokomodrums

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:56 PM

You can call the manufacturer of the computer (Dell, HP, etc) and request they send you the recovery disk/s. If it's still under warranty they should send them for free. Otherwise you might have to pay a small fee for them to send them. Remember, it costs $99 to get a brand new copy of Windows 8, so make sure you're not paying anything close to that!

On the other hand, if it's still under warranty they should replace the hard drive for free!

P.S. The screenshot you posted looks like Event Viewer, which shows all sorts of errors, not necessarily related to the hard drive. You need to use a program that specifically tests the hard drive for errors. If you are unable to boot the computer at all, you will need to use a program that can boot from a CD or USB drive. Hiren's BootCD is a free suite of tools you can run off a CD, which includes quite a few tools to test your hard drive - http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd

Essentially you burn the ISO file to a CD (you can use the free ImgBurn program to burn the ISO - http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/imgburn.html). Then you restart your computer and boot from the CD (Article explaining how to boot from a CD - http://lifehacker.com/5991848/how-to-boot-from-a-cd-or-usb-drive-on-any-pc). Once it's loaded up, go to the Hard Disk Tools and open HDTune. Here is an article explaining how to use HDTune, but focus on what the Health tab says and running the Error Scan - http://www.hdtune.com/hdtune.html.

Phew. Good luck!

Edited by kokomodrums, 31 August 2014 - 08:13 PM.

-- Matt

#14 musicman2242

musicman2242
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:02 PM

You can call the manufacturer of the computer (Dell, HP, etc) and request they send you the recovery disk/s. If it's still under warranty they should send them for free. Otherwise you might have to pay a small fee for them to send them. Remember, it costs $99 to get a brand new copy of Windows 8, so make sure you're not paying anything close to that!

On the other hand, if it's still under warranty they should replace the hard drive for free!

Unfortunately, the warranty ran out in April.. I will contact Gateway however, to find out how much they charge for the recovery disk. Thanks for helping everyone,  I appreciate the it

#15 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:06 PM

Musicman, I have some good news for you.

I had an idea of how you could proceed once you have a new hard drive, but wasn't sure if it work, so I just tested it on one of my Win 8 machines and it definitely works.

Windows 8 and 8.1 have a feature in the control panel that allows you to create a recovery drive on a 16 gig or bigger USB thumb drive.

If you get it done soon before your present hard drive goes belly up, you will be able to boot from this USB drive once you get your new hard drive and it will install the full OEM system on your machine, just like it was the day you bought it, with all the drivers and included software, and naturally, it will self activate too.

In essence, it copies your recovery partition and makes the thumb drive bootable.

This is the best Windows recovery feature I have ever seen.

If this is not 100% clear to you, just say so and I'll give you any details you need.

All is well in Paradise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users