Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Issues upgrading to Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 GreatGonzales

GreatGonzales

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 29 August 2014 - 02:28 PM

Hello there everyone.

I've been working on a system for a little while now, and am ready to upgrade it to Windows 7 (currently running XP Pro SP3, and yes, it is capable of running 7) . Long story short, here are the issues that I am facing:

1. When trying to boot from the disk, the system skips over the DVD drive and goes directly to XP boot (even though in the BIOS, the DVD drive is the first boot option and even does so when I manually select to boot from the disk drive) 

2. When trying to run the software from XP, the error message "Windows could not retrieve information about disks on this computer (even after populating the disk through Device Management)

3. This system, and all of my XP install disks, it seems, lack VDS.exe (which has never caused a problem in previous upgrades)

Anyhow, hopefully, there's something relatively simple that I am overlooking, as I've completed this process many a time before without a hitch and am at my wit's end with this system.

Cheers, and thanks in advance,

D

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 29 August 2014 - 04:30 PM

Two things occur to me.

(1)  Your Win 7 install disc could be faulty - rare, but has been known to happen. Try it in another computer and see if it will boot from that disc.

I've been working on a system for a little while now

I take it this means you have backed up any data you want off it, then,

(2)  Use either a self-booting Linux CD (Puppy comes to mind) or a partitioning disc like GParted to format your C:\ drive then run the installer. I have used Puppy several times in the past to good effect to recover data and check otherwise odd drives. I have no personal experience with GParted but people on BC whose opinions I trust speak highly of it.

Like you, I have updated computers from XP to Win 7 a number of times but I have never run into this problem myself.

Chris Cosgrove

PS - Welcome to BC !

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 29 August 2014 - 04:31 PM.
Add postscript

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 29 August 2014 - 04:46 PM

Use either a self-booting Linux CD (Puppy comes to mind) or a partitioning disc like GParted to format your C:\ drive then run the installer. I have used Puppy several times in the past to good effect to recover data and check otherwise odd drives. I have no personal experience with GParted

*NEW* Slacko Puppy (Slackware-Compatible Build)

Download Here

Open ibiblio.org folder of Slacko 5.7 and choose your preferred ISO*.

Or Here

Open nluug.nl folder of Slacko 5.7 and choose your preferred ISO*.

Any Puppy Linux will do, all you want is to boot the PC and mount your "c\drive". This video will show you how its done.

http://youtu.be/8ZLbpxXNCR4

GParted is a free partition editor for graphically managing your disk partitions.

With GParted you can resize, copy, and move partitions without data loss, enabling you to:

• Grow or shrink your C: drive
  • Create space for new operating systems
  • Attempt data rescue from lost partitions

Download

http://youtu.be/bb54TsYI6UA

Ps.

:welcome:  To BC.

Edited by NickAu1, 29 August 2014 - 06:06 PM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users