Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE 11 search suggestions are disabled - can't fix!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 BoomerM3

BoomerM3

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:55 AM

My PC was recently infected with some malware. Now cleaned and everything is OK - almost. Since the attack, suggestions do not work in IE11. Specifically:

If I go to Addons - Search Providers, both Google and Bing have Search Suggestions disabled. At the bottom of that window, where you should be able to click to enable suggestions, it is grayed out.

What did I try?
1. I un-installed Google as a search provider. Then re-installed. Same problem.
2. Uninstalled IE11 and re-installed. Same problem.
3. Compared all IE11 settings with a laptop that works properly.
4. Ran several malware removal programs - nothing found.

I ran out of things to try. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,096 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2014 - 12:35 PM

Would help if you give the programs you used to find and remove malware.

Often, we see programs such as Registry Cleaners being used that have actually caused problems....not cured any.

Other programs, such as those listed as rogues, list a lot of false positives and some remove needed files.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 BoomerM3

BoomerM3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2014 - 12:49 PM

I omitted the OS is Win 7 Premium.

Software I used: Hijackthis, MalwareBytes, MBRCheck, Rkill, Tdsskiller.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,096 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2014 - 01:52 PM

You may have deleted some registry entry using Hijackthis. Any chance it is backed up?

What we see most here is adware. MBAM does remove adware. The three programs below remove even more.

download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your desktop.
Close all open programs and internet browsers.
Double click on adwcleaner.exe to run the tool.
Click on Delete.
Confirm each time with Ok.
You will be prompted to restart your computer. A text file will open after the restart.
Please post the contents of that logfile with your next reply.
You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt as well.

• download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop.
  • Shut down your protection software now to avoid potential conflicts.
  • Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista, 7, or 8; instead of double-clicking, right-mouse click JRT.exe and select "Run as Administrator".
  • The tool will open and start scanning your system.
  • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.
  • On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
  • Post the contents of JRT.txt into your next message

• Run the ESET Online Scanner.
  • Hold down Control and click on this link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
  • Click the esetonlinebtn.png button.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
  • Click on esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the esetsmartinstaller_enu.png icon on your desktop.
  • Check "YES, I accept the Terms of Use."
  • Click the Start button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Under scan settings, check "Scan Archives" and "Remove found threats"
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, click List Threats
  • Click Export, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  • Click the Back button.
  • Click the Finish button.
  • NOTE:Sometimes if ESET finds no infections it will not create a log.

Use CCleaner to cleanup temporary files, logs, ad/ tracking cookies, etc. Use the default settings. No need to use the Registry Cleaning Tool and its

use may cause other problems. Pay close attention while installing and UNcheck the offers of toolbars such as Yahoo.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

Use this Windows Repair (All In One) Download  to repair these:

• Reset Registry Permissions
  • Reset File Permissions
  • Register System Files
  • Repair WMI
  • Repair Windows Firewall
  • Repair Internet Explorer
  • Repair MDAC & MS Jet
  • Repair Hosts File
  • Remove Policies Set By Infections
  • Repair Icons
  • Repair Winsock & DNS Cache
  • Remove Temp Files
  • Repair Proxy Settings
  • Unhide Non System Files
  • Repair Windows Updates
  • Repair CD/DVD Missing/Not Working

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 BoomerM3

BoomerM3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2014 - 04:21 PM

I ran the programs you suggested. It seemed to find a lot of adware and PUPs. Nothing obviously harmful.

However, it did nothing to fix the original problem, which remains.

Thanks for your efforts.

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,096 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2014 - 05:18 PM

What about Windows Repair All In One....did you run that?

Did you delete any registry entries using HijackThis?

Turning off Search Suggestions could be one of the things adware/ browser hijacker would do.

Many users turn that off because they see it as a nuisance or not helpful.

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,096 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2014 - 06:12 PM

Have you tried this? How to reset Internet Explorer settings

1. Manually open the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box
    1. Close all Internet Explorer and Explorer windows that are currently open.
    2. Start Internet Explorer.

Note If you are running Windows 8.1 or Windows 8, start Internet Explorer from the desktop. Changing your settings will affect both Internet Explorer and Internet Explorer that you start from the desktop.
    3. On the Tools menu, tap or click Internet options. If you don't see the Tools menu, press Alt.
    4. In the Internet Options window, tap or click the Advanced tab.
    5. Tap or click Reset. If you're using Windows Internet Explorer 6, click Restore Default.
  2. In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, tap or click Reset.

Note Select the Delete personal settings check box if you also want to remove browsing history, search providers, Accelerators, home pages, Tracking Protection, and ActiveX Filtering data.
  3. When Internet Explorer finishes applying the default settings, tap or click Close, and then tap or click OK.
  4. Exit and then start Internet Explorer.

Notes

• If you close all visible windows, but still get an error message when trying to reset, you might have processes running that are not visible. Restart Windows, start Internet Explorer, and try resetting again.
  •  

#8 BoomerM3

BoomerM3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2014 - 06:53 PM

I did try the reset. ALSO:

1. I un-installed Google as a search provider. Then re-installed. Same problem.
2. Uninstalled IE11 and re-installed. Same problem.

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,096 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2014 - 07:15 PM

Malware could be the problem.

To find out for sure, you will need to start a new topic. Read the instructions in the first link.

Post your new topic in the Malware Removal Forum in the second link.

The first link will give you instructions for creating a DDS log that you will need to include in your new topic.

Once you have posted the new topic do not bump it. Wait for response first. I'm not sure how long that could

be. It could be days.

Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help - Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs

Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs Forum - BleepingComputer.com

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:21 PM

buddy215 offers excellent advice.

Please do as he suggests. A member of the malware removal team will determine if your system is still infected.

IF YOU FOLLOW THE ADVICE AND POST THE REQUESTED LOG IN MALWARE REMOVAL LOGS PLEASE LEAVE A REPLY HERE THAT YOU HAVE DONE SO, ALONG WITH THE LINK TO YOUR MRL TOPIC.

TDSSKiller is a utility created by Kaspersky Labs that is designed to remove the TDSS rootkit. This rootkit is know under other names such as Rootkit.Win32.TDSS, Tidserv, TDSServ, and Alureon. TDSSKiller will also attempt to remove other rootkits such as the ZeroAccess or ZeroAccess rootkit if it is detected.

A rootkit is a malware program that is designed to hide itself or other computer infections on your computer. These types of programs are typically harder to remove than generic malware, which is the reason that stand-alone utilities such as TDSSKiller have been developed.

I'm not a malware removal expert so I may be off base with this but if you did not have that specific rootkit TDSSKiller won't help with other malware. Someone correct me if I am wrong about this.

RKill is a program that was developed at BleepingComputer.com that attempts to terminate known malware processes so that your normal security software can then run and clean your computer of infections.

RKill doesn't remove anything.

Unless you know how to interpret HJT logs, it's best to let an expert look at them and tell you what can be safely fixed using HJT.

I don't know anything about MBRCheck.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 29 August 2014 - 08:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users