Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer running incredibly slow, programs not opening, and pages not loading.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 replicates

replicates

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:54 AM

I don't understand how to delete a topic, so I'll just edit this: I managed to find the problem and am almost done cleaning everything up. Things have started to work smoothly again!

Edited by replicates, 29 August 2014 - 03:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 replicates

replicates
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2014 - 02:18 PM

UPDATE: Finally got Avast going on it, and it picked up mbr:cidox-e in the bootfiles, and this is apparently a high severity rootkit? 

I've tried 'fix automatically' and 'repair' and both times it crashed the computer.

Edited by replicates, 29 August 2014 - 02:19 PM.

#3 replicates

replicates
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:15 AM

Obviously I'm not really qualified to try and answer this for you, but since it's my topic I figured I'd at least let you know:

What I did was run TDSSKiller to get Cidox out. It's meant specifically for rootkits, and it did wonders where ever other AV crashed once I tried to get it to do anything with it. 

Try posting a new topic of your own about this, and you should get someone who definitely knows what they're doing chiming in!

Edited by Queen-Evie, 31 August 2014 - 10:43 AM.
original edit reason deleted

#4 2cantech

2cantech

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:33 AM

You are very kind to respond. 

I downloaded TDSSKiller, and it found CIdox-B (interesting). 

I selected Cure, and it worked.  It is gone. 

So very happy.  Thank you very much.

And you were quite qualified to answer

:guitar: (me playing a happy song)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users