Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft ships replacement patch KB2993651 with known bugs (ErrorCode 80246002)

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:32 AM

Microsoft ships replacement patch KB 2993651 with two known bugs

Microsoft re-releases botched MS14-045/KB 2982791 'Blue Screen 0x50' patch, buries tip to manually uninstall first patch, and introduces more problems

Replacement patch stems from Problems with Windows updates August 2014.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 30 August 2014 - 05:33 AM

Zounds, Yikes and Jeepers!  :blink:

That there is a *lot* of numbers to try to keep track of.

Thanks for posting quietman7, lots of good information there but it can be overwhelming. 

Guess I'm going to re-read and uninstall what needs uninstalling.

I have not had an issue with these updates, thankfully, but apparently, the known issues and/or bugs can manifest themselves somewhere down the line if I don't uninstall...not good, not good.

Again, thanks for posting and giving us the heads up. What a mess this all is.

Winterland  (a grateful dual-booting noob)

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#3 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 948 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:32 AM

Thanks for the info quietman7 ( thorough as usual ).

Just like Winterland I allowed the most recent update. There was no suggestion from the link provided to uninstall, that I could discern.

Do you think that by not uninstalling problems will arise down the road as suggested by Winterland??

Currently no problems have arisen post installation.

Please advise.

#4 herbman

herbman

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2014 - 11:11 AM

I installed the update the other day but now checking updates again i get the error code 80246002 , is there a fix for this?

#5 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,992 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 30 August 2014 - 11:39 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the info quietman7 ( thorough as usual ).

Just like Winterland I allowed the most recent update. There was no suggestion from the link provided to uninstall, that I could discern.

Do you think that by not uninstalling problems will arise down the road as suggested by Winterland??

Currently no problems have arisen post installation.

Please advise.

If you don't have any problems leave the updates installed. Not all the machines are affected by the reported problems.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2014 - 12:58 PM

I was advised that over at Microsoft Community forums an IT Pro support case/ticket has been opened...so hopefully there will be an answer for those who are having issues.

#7 herbman

herbman

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2014 - 01:23 PM

Thank you ,  i'm not worried about the update that installed a few days ago , what i'm worried about is that i can no longer check for updates , i get the error code i stated above.

At the time it installed everything was fine but just today when i checked for updates again , all of a sudden the error code appears.

Edited by herbman, 30 August 2014 - 01:25 PM.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2014 - 01:27 PM

I know that one of my MVP colleagues is personally involved in resolving this ASAP.

#9 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 948 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2014 - 03:38 PM

Thanks for the current info on this update quietman7.

Thanks to you as well SleepyDude.  I was on the fence with whether to uninstall or to leave as is. For now, will await further info.

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,611 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2014 - 04:11 PM

+1 Thanks quietman7 for using your spare time to keep us all safe.  It doesn't appear that this is affecting XP?  I like the one comment: "I am running Linux lol."  I will have to take a look at my update history I guess.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#11 herbman

herbman

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2014 - 09:59 PM

I know that one of my MVP colleagues is personally involved in resolving this ASAP.

Thats good to hear ,  thank God for BC , don't know what i would do without it.

#12 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,967 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:52 PM

What is the advice on this matter now, have replacement updates gone out already, have those replacements got different numbers (kb...), if one can find some, but not all, of the four(five??) dangerous ones in one's update history what is one to do? I have kb 2982791, kb2975331 and kb2993651. 

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#13 jreynolds2

jreynolds2

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:27 PM

Here is the update description dated "Aug 12", which is the "buried" uninstallation suggestion and complex "mitigation" steps for the "blue screen of death" (BSOD) issue. See especially the section "Known Issue 3". http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2982791

Microsoft's behavior to the current point suggests that it NO LONGER wants to suggest uninstallation, so I am sharing it only for those who want the information.

Note that MS originally recommended this uninstallation be performed if the original updates were installed, and the those be uninstalled prior to installing the reissued update! Further, the uninstall instructions, which also involved registry changes and deletion of certain files, were said to mitigate the BSOD error (0x50 stop error), regarding other issues the message was "Microsoft is working on resolving" the issues. Uninstalling the problematic updates, therefore, has never been suggested to fix all the issues that emerged.

I'm also with SleepyDude, above, in suggesting users leave installed their current updates unless you know enough to make an informed decision. If you are having the BSOD problem, and can figure out how to boot, uninstalling might make more sense.

#14 jreynolds2

jreynolds2

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:55 PM

To be clear, the article I linked to above has been revised by Microsoft!! It is not current official information or advice.

The current version can be found by searching for "MS14-045" and selecting the link to "tech net....."

Regarding herbman's problem with the error some people now get when trying to run Windows Update, I see the same thing quietman7 does: Some capable people are working on getting a resolution from Microsoft. Patience is hard when we're concerned, but it's likely the best course at the moment if your device is working.

#15 jreynolds2

jreynolds2

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 12:06 AM

It looks like the Windows Update error problem is also being closely tracked here: http://windowsitpro.com/windows-update/tracking-error-80246002-windows-update-problem

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users