Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer Travelmate Blackscreen with little white line in top left corner on boot

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 brandonmckinnell

brandonmckinnell

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:01 AM

Acer Travelmate 5542 turns on to a black screen with white line in the top left corner. I have changed all boot devices and still nothing works. will not boot t oCd drive USB or HDD

Problem Started: Acer utility said the original hard drive was going bad and to back up all data. So i did. Then i went out and bought a new Toshiba 500gb HDD. I've installed probably 200 HDD into computers so i had no worries. I then went to boot to a USB drive with window 7 pro installed. However i couldnt get a boot menu to come up with F1-F12 and even ESC. So i then went into the BIOS and changed F12 to be the boot screen. ( Also while in the bios i was able to see the computer can see the new HDD and the Sandisk USB) So after i saved teh settings and restarted i was able to get the boot screen but when i select anything it goes to a black screen with a little white line in the upper left corner. I was able to remove the hard drive put it in a different computer and it worked fine to install Win 7. So i put it back into the laptop and still same problem. I cant boot to CD/DVD, USB, or HDD

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:19 AM

I would like you to use the tutorial below to access the Command Prompt to rebuild the Boot Configuration Data.

The tutorial below includes a link to download a Windows 7 ISO image and instructions for burning this to a disc to create a bootable installation disc.  You will need to follow the instructions to step 7b, in the instructions there you would normally choose the Startup Repair from the System Recovery Options, but in this case you will choose Command Prompt.  You do not need to use these instruction any further than step 7b.  This will open the elevated command prompt, it will look similar to the image below.

elevatedcommandpromptw7_zpseba8c499.png

Copy and paste the command below in the command prompt, then press Enter.

bootrec /rebuildbcd

Instructions for a Windows 7 Repair installation.

A Windows 7 Repair Installation will require a installation disc.

If you do not have a Windows 7 installation disc you can download a free legal ISO image of Windows 7 SP1 at  Windows 7 Forums.  You will need to download the same version of Windows 7 that you have installed,  This image is hosted by the Digital River store which is an official distribution partner of Microsoft.  This is a genuine untouched image which is safe to download. 

Attention:  If you do have a Windows installation disc, skip Part A and go to Part B, Step 1b.

Part A, Steps 1a - 6a

How to burn ISO image using Windows Burn Disk Image.

Notice:  This applies only to Windows 7 and Windows 8, earlier versions do not have this.

1.  Place a blank CD or DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

2.  After you have downloaded the ISO image you want to burn right click on the Start orb, then choose Windows Explorer.

3.  When Explorer opens click on Downloads in the left pane.  Scroll down till you find the ISO file you want and double click on it.  Click on Burn Disk Image.

4.  In the image below you will see Dick] burner:, this should be set to the optical drive you want to use.  Click on Verify disc after burning if you want to Windows to verity the disc image after burn.  Click on burn.

burndiskimage1_zpsb502b181.png

5.  In the image below you can see that the green progress bar, when the image is finished burning the bar will be filled.

burndiskimage2_zps17a9d6ff.png

6.  After the image has completed being burned click on Close

Please note:  In order to boot from this DVD you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order, and the hdd is the second device.

Part B, Steps 1b - 10b

1b)  Place the installation disc in the tray of the CD/DVD drive, close the tray and restart the computer.

2b)  You will be prompted to press any key to start the installation, I find the space bar handy.

At this point the setup process will load files, this will take several minutes.

3b)  You will now need to choose the  Language, Time, currency format, and Keyboard or input method that you'd like to use.

After this is done click on Next.

w71_zps6dbda47e.png

4b)  Click on the Repair your computer link at the bottom-left of the Install Windows window.

This link will begin the Windows 7 System Recovery Options.

w72_zps2a656a0c.png

5b)  System Recovery Options will now search your hard drive(s) for any Windows 7 installations.  This will take several minutes.

No participation is required on your part at this time, wait till it has finished and the next window opens.

w73_zpsd5483f05.png

6b)  Choose the Windows 7 installation that you'd like to perform the Startup Repair on, then click on Next

w74_zps490f9a17.png

7b)  Click on the Startup Repair link from list of recovery tools in System Recovery Options.

w75_zps9941e858.png

For a future reference, there are several other diagnostic and recovery tools available in the Windows 7 System Recovery Options including System Restore, System Image Recovery, Windows Memory Diagnostic, and Command Prompt.

8b)  The Startup Repair tool will now search for problems in the system files.

If Startup Repair finds a problem with any system files the tool may suggest a solution which you will need to confirm, or may solve the problem automatically.

w76_zps3dd75d83.png

9b)  Startup Repair will now attempt to repair whatever problems it found with system files.  

Note:  If Startup Repair did not find any problems with system files you won't see this step.

w77_zpsd8be95eb.png

Important: Your computer may or may not restart several times during this repair process.  This is normal, you should allow it to continue until you see the Restart your computer to complete the repairs window. 

10b)  Click on Finish, this will restart your computer.

w78_zpsd49257fb.png

It is possible that the Startup Repair will not be able to fix the problem.  If the Startup Repair tool determines this, it may automatically run the the repair after your computer restarts.  If it does not automatically run the repair but you are still having problems with Windows 7 repeat these steps to run Startup Repair again manually.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 brandonmckinnell

brandonmckinnell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:32 AM

I know how to create the bootable win 7 disk i already did that but the issue is that i cant even get the computer to  boot to CD/DVD to run the repair. when i select to boot to the disk it goes to a black screen the screen is lit but it is black sometimes with the little white line in the top left. 

#4 brandonmckinnell

brandonmckinnell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:34 AM

and it shouldnt be a bad motherboard because it was booting perfectly fine before the old hard drive was removed. 

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2014 - 12:10 PM

If you boot order in the BIOS is set so that the DVD/CD drive is the first item in the boot order and the hdd the second you should get a black screen with white lettering telling you to press any key to boot from the disc.  Your problem is with Windows, the computer should boot from the disc, not the operating system.

I made no mention of the motherboard, that component isn't even in consideration as the culprit.

When this black screen with the blinking cursor is showing, are you seeing activity of the hdd.  If there is activity the LED for the hdd will be blinking.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 brandonmckinnell

brandonmckinnell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2014 - 12:16 PM

i have changed the boot order so that the CD/DVD is first doesnt work. So then i booted pressing F12 and selected to boot from the CD/DVD no luck goes straight to the black screen with white cursor. Normally you will get a "PRESS ANY KEY TO BOOT FROM DISK" i get no prompts just the white cursor. 

and as for activity the HDD light blinks and then the screen goes black and then nothing. and for the sandisk USB, it starts to blink like it is going to boot but then the black screen comes up and the flash drive just keeps blinking. Ive done this process probably 200 times before and never once had this happen. I even tried to flash the bios. 

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2014 - 12:21 PM

Do you have a bootable disc that you know is good to see if the computer will boot from it?

#8 brandonmckinnell

brandonmckinnell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2014 - 12:39 PM

yea i tried Ubuntu and that didnt work and i also used the win 7 disk in a different computer and it worked right away.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2014 - 01:10 PM

This is not good.  Your hdd may have failed.

You can try accessing your data on this hdd by connecting it to another computer.  If you have a desktop you can connect it directly to the motherboard via a data and a power cable.  If it is a laptop you will need to purchase an external enclosure which will connect to the laptop via a USB port.  You can purchase an external case at Newegg for about ten US dollars.

Before connecting the hdd open Computer and make a note of the different drive letters.  This was after the hdd is connected you will be able to identify the new drive letter and know that this is your hdd.  Click on the drive and see if you can open any of the files or folders.

If you wish to save the data right click on the folder or file you want to save and choose Send to, another menu will open with options to send this to.  I prefer sending it to a flash drive.

#10 brandonmckinnell

brandonmckinnell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2014 - 01:14 PM

its a brand new hard drive. both old and new hard drive work on another computer. Acer utilities said the original hard drive way going bad so i bought a new one and thats when all this started to happen. but whats weird is if i put the old hard drive back in it still doesnt work. BIOS sees it it shows up in my boot options but just goes to the black screen. 

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2014 - 01:36 PM

There is one other thing you could do.  Remove the hdd from the laptop and install it in the other computer.  You will need to unplug the data cable from the hdd that came with the computer you will be using to wipe the hdd and install the operating system.  Wipe the hdd with a program like Darik's Boot and Nuke and then install the operating system.

Once you have the the operating system you will need to run sysprep to generalize the hdd before installing it back in the laptop.  This has to be done if you are going to install the operating system in one computer and then installed in another.

If you run sysprep on the hdd with Windows 7 or 8.1 before moving it you should be be able to move it and boot from it on the other computer. You want to remove all hardware identifiers from the hdd, this generalizes the drive.

Click on the Start orb, then type cmd in the Search box.

cmd will appear under Programs above the search box, right click on it and choose Run as administrator.

This will open the Elevated Command Prompt.

In the Elevated Command Prompt type in CD C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep, then 
use the command: "sysprep /generalize /oobe /shutdown"
Don't power the drive back on until it's in the other computer.

Edited by dc3, 29 August 2014 - 01:37 PM.

#12 brandonmckinnell

brandonmckinnell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2014 - 01:39 PM

yea i installed win 7 on the hard drive in a different computer but i didnt do the system prep ill give it a shot. thankyou for quick responses! 

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2014 - 02:10 PM

You will need to do a fresh installation and then do the sysprep.

#14 brandonmckinnell

brandonmckinnell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2014 - 12:50 PM

somehow the problem was fixed when i used an external hard drive to install the win 7 os. thanks for your help!!

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:00 PM

I hope you don't have any further issues with this installation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users