Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anyone Know How To Setup Any Dedicated Game Servers?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 05 June 2006 - 04:22 PM

Anyone know how to setup any dedicated game servers and want to put together some easy to follow guides on how to do it :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2006 - 08:26 PM

Damn..does this mean im going to have to figure it out on my own?

#3 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 05 June 2006 - 09:39 PM

Would you like the Linux version?
I can do Americas Army server...Jabber server...TeamSpeak server.
I have no clue how they differ on Windows.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2006 - 10:26 PM

I would love them. My goal is to setup a pinned index of guides on how to make dedicated servers for various games and platforms.

I think it would be a great resource for everyone.

#5 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2006 - 07:53 AM

I believe you need the dedicated server program for that game.

For say Counter-Strike, you'd download the dedicated server file, then you'd be able to set up your own server and then you'd do all this crap (I really don't remember, its been three years since I've set one up for CS) after you've downloaded server mods to get them to run to make your server easier to control.

Its probably similar for just about any other game, assuming its like a first person shooter.

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2006 - 09:29 AM

Exactly...but its not as easy as you make it sound. You need to know where to download the files from, what ports you need to open on the firewall, etc.

Each game is different.

#7 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2006 - 10:18 AM

lol easy?

Thats the short version of I spent a really long time in pain trying to get a server to run along with mods for it. but yea good point.

#8 Nat Sci

Nat Sci

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2006 - 12:47 PM

So are you looking for how to make a dedicated server for a certain game? Different games have different ways to setup the server.
Legend has it that... If you put an AOL disc the opposite way and play it you can hear devilish music... Even worse if you put it the right way... IT INSTALLS AOL!
Click here 3 times for $100,000<--- I mean .00001 dollars.

#9 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2006 - 07:58 PM

Basically look for individual topics, with each topic detailing how to setup a dedicated server for a particular game.

Then I will pin an index to each of these topics.

Thats the goal at least.

#10 Nat Sci

Nat Sci

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2006 - 10:15 PM

First, were going to have to start with the basics. Then harder and harder.

Bandwith Minimum Requirements
Players-------------------------Required Connection Speed
1-4------------------------------256kbps
4-8------------------------------384kbps
8-10----------------------------512kbps
12-18--------------------------768kbps
20-24--------------------------1024kbps
26-28--------------------------1284kbps
30-32--------------------------1512kbps
(It is not recommended that you play a server that you created from the same computer.)

Memory Requirements
Players-------------------------Memory Required
4-8-------------------------------256MB
10-18---------------------------768MB
20-26---------------------------1,024MB
28-32---------------------------1,536MB
(These are the minimum requirements; more memory is recommended.)

Dual CPU's are probably the best for dedicated servers but if you dont own one a 2.4Ghz is a good choice. Its also enough to have 28 players.
The most recommended hard disk RPM is 10,000. But if its too expensive or you odnt own one for for a hard disk thats over 5,400. Games these days wont stand a chance on them.

The basic commands
// hostname - Set the name of your server
hostname "My Counter-Strike Server"

// rcon_password - This allows you to control your server remotely, things like changing maps, kick/ban clients, etc.
rcon_password "specialpassword"

// mp_buytime <seconds> - The amount of time to allow purchasing weapons/equipment on round start
mp_buytime 0.45

// mp_startmoney <money> - Specify how much money players start off with
mp_startmoney 800

// mp_c4timer <seconds> - How long before the c4 explodes
mp_c4timer 45

// mp_timelimit <minutes> - How long each map should be played before switching levels
mp_timelimit 25

// mp_freezetime <seconds> - How long players are unable to move during round starts
mp_freezetime 5

// sv_cheats <0/1> - Whether to allow game cheat commands to be used by clients. 0 = off | 1 = on
sv_cheats 0

// sv_maxrate <1000-25000> - The maximum bandwidth rate the server is allowed to transmit to clients
sv_maxrate 10000

// sv_pausable <0/1> - Whether to allow clients to pause the server. 0 = off | 1 = on
sv_pausable 0

// sv_contact <email/web address> Contact email for server admin
sv_contact "admin@domain.com"

// sv_region <1-7> - The region of the world to report the server in.
// region codes can be found on this page.
sv_region 0

If you want a normal server config you can download this basic config: http://www.cstrike-planet.com/dls/servercfg.zip
put this in the cstrike directory or for Counterstrike: Source it goes in cstrike/cfg directory.Next we downlaod the hldsupdatetool: http://www.cstrike-planet.com/files?dl=11
It should be found in this path in most cases: C:\Program Files\Valve\HLServer
Once installed go to run type cmd and in the DOS window type: cd C:\Program Files\Valve\HLServer
Then update it with this command: HldsUpdateTool.exe -command update -game "Counter-Strike Source" -dir .
(Dont forget to add that dot and the end.) This installation will take a long time depending on your connection speed. (800MB)
Now this path C:\Program Files\Valve\HLServer and find srcds.exe and right-click then create shortcut. Right click the short cut on the desktop and select properties.
Here are a list of commands you can use in the "Target" field. Under the shortcut target field is where you will need to enter some options. See above for current -flags you can use, we want to start our server with a limit of 20 players and on cs_italy so our shortcut target field will look like this:
"C:\Program Files\Valve\HLServer\srcds.exe" -console -game cstrike -autoupdate +maxplayers 20 +map cs_italy
Click ok then double click the shortcdut to start the server. Eventually when your good at this then you might want to customize your server. You can use this: http://www.cstrike-planet.com/cfgmaker?cfg=srcds it will generate a script for you. And your done.
Credits
Counter-Strike Planet.
Legend has it that... If you put an AOL disc the opposite way and play it you can hear devilish music... Even worse if you put it the right way... IT INSTALLS AOL!

#11 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2006 - 10:19 PM

Are these both the same? Also if this was taken from counter-strike planet they are probably copyrighted we cant use them like this unfortunately. We would need to create the guides from scratch .

#12 Nat Sci

Nat Sci

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2006 - 08:00 AM

The commands downloads, and graphs are tooken for CS Planet and sorry I didnt mean to double post.

Edited by Nat Sci, 07 June 2006 - 08:01 AM.

#13 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2006 - 09:18 PM

Hmm..i may want to format and clean it up a bit. I will tackle that next weekend unless you want to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users